Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Hedera II you...

*sigh* I love this pattern.
Hedera IIa
It's ridiculously easy to memorize, knits up super fast, and has quite a bit of give - all of which is very helpful when you need to knit them up in a week because the month of November has flown by in a flash and your BFF's birthday snuck up on you before you knew it and smacked you in your knitting ass.


But, I digress.

Hedera IIb
They're even purty laid flat instead of on de feet! M's leg-enders are about half a size smaller than mine, so the chair gets to model them for you instead of me.


Only a few minor mods here - made the cuff slightly longer at 15 rows (I think? somewheres around there), knit 10 repeats of the lace pattern for the leg, and subbed in a Sherman heel. (Love this method - no wraps! It's my go-to short row heel. Click here if you'd like to try it!)

Hedera IIc
Yarn thoughts

This is Dyed in the Wool Handmade Fingering Mediumweight in Nicotiana. They do an absolutely beautiful job on their colorways! Various shades of red infuse throughout, no set striping or pooling, just a gorgeous melange of color.


The yarn itself is more wooly than squooshy, but soft and strong. There was no runoff in the soak (with red, can you believe it?) and no fading or pilling afterwards.


Wrap it up

I'm very pleased with how these turned out (and relieved I was able to wash, block, and mail them out in time)! I wanted to knit M up a birthday pair that was noticeably different in look and color than the
Embossed Leaves I made her a couple of years ago, and these fit the bill perfectly. Hopefully, she'll love them just as much!
Hedera IId
Hedera II

Pattern: by Cookie A., from the
Spring 2006 knitty
Yarn: Dyed in the Wool Handmade Fingering Mediumweight, 1 skein in Nicotiana

Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in size 1, 32"

Mods: Longer cuff, shorter leg, Sherman heel

14 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

so pretty!! they turned out great.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love the look of this yarn! And I think you were very smart to sub a short-row heel. I always think of my Hederas as "those socks with the world's longest gusset."

1:08 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! i love the colors. i still have yet to knit this one, but i'll get around to it someday.

1:12 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Ditto what knottygnome said.

And no bleeding with RED? Holy crapola, that's a friggin miracle!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hedera Nicotania, that sounds like an evil headmistress. But I love them!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the socks! Love knitting with the Hiyahiya's too.

4:17 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Thanks SO MUCH for the link to the Sherman heel. My short row wrapped heels are soooo bad. Can't wait to try this!

Your socks are gorgeous. What a lucky friend you have.

4:43 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

But my birthday isn't until February! hehehehe Those are gorgeous! I love that pattern too!

8:15 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh so pretty! Love the color you chose.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

That yarn looks divine. I have yet to try a Cookie A sock, but I know it's inevitable. Gift socks still seem out of reach for me, but I guess when you can whip them out like this, it's not so bad.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Wow. That is gorgeous yarn and it makes gorgeous socks!

Hederas are the best - it is one of my absolute favorite patterns... it looks so complicated, is v. easy to memorize, and is good and stretchy for gift-giving!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Beautiful! And that colorway is to die for. I'm such a sucker for reds. I hope they are much-loved and appreciated.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always impressed with anyone who can knit socks... I haven't ventured there yet! The yarn is beautiful and I love the pattern too.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

The socks are gorgeous! I'm pleased you had a positive experience with my yarn, and thank you so much for your kind words here! :)

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home