Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Long Duck Cardi

Sometimes dreams do come true!
Deep V Cardi 1
Every so often, I get these visions of the perfect wardrobe item. When that happens, I know I'm doomed, because I will NEVER find exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, knowing that ahead of time never seems to stop me from embarking on a vision quest to every mall in the tri-county area, one that will ultimately end in multiple bouts of cursing with an ice cream chaser to soothe the pain (or I just skip the vision quest altogether and go straight for the ice cream. you know, cut out the middle man). And of course, sometimes I'll try to knit it and it will end up a big fat froggy fail (mostly because I wing it as I go, without taking the time to you know, measure and stuff).


This time, I wanted a cute, chic sweater that was reminiscent of something you'd steal from your boyfriend's/husband's/brother's/best guy friend's closet. A cardi with a deep V-neck that buttoned just below the chest, reached down to the hips, had set-in sleeves that were just a whisper too long, skimmed the body with subtle shaping, and looked as good buttoned up as it did hanging loose.

SCORE!
Deep V Cardi 2
It took some work in the beginning, taking multiple measurements, drawing up a schematic (which is harder when you completely, totally suck at drawing like I do), geeking things out with the calculator, and so on, but totally worth it. As soon as this came off the needles, I modeled it for Hubster, whose first comment was, "WOW, that is the perfect fit!" Me kiss Hubster, he smart man.
Deep V Cardi 3
I knitted this all from the top down, with seamless shoulders, set-in sleeves, back darts, and 2x2 ribbing at the borders. (P.S. Mucho thanks to MIL for getting me my new HiyaHiya stainless steel interchangeable needles with the 60" cable. Made picking up stitches around the collar so much easier!) I have to say, I've developed such a love for the top-down technique, it's hard to imagine knitting a sweater any other way!

Several people have already asked for a pattern on Rav, so I may get ambitious and write one up! If I laze out on a formal pattern ('cause you know, that's a lotta math), I'll definitely write up a separate post with a detailed road map on how I knit this. Because everyone should have one! :)

Deep V Cardi 4
Yarn thoughts

This is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, my all-time favorite superwash worsted merino. I'd say I used around 3.5 skeins for this sweater. There were several balls of overs, due to some knots and/or knotted plies in one skein (grrrrrr), but I forgive LL when they do that because I love the yarn so much. ;)

Wrap it up

I. LOVE. THIS. SWEATER! It turned out exactly, and I mean exactly the way I envisioned. (Look out your window, because a pig may fly by any second). It's sexy yet understated, chic yet comfy, and will go with just about anything. I am going to wear this all winter long! Thank you Barbara Walker!
Deep V Cardi 5
Oh Sexy Booooooyfriend Cardi

Pattern: Improvised
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, about 3.5 skeins in Chino
Needle: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel Interchangeable in size US 7

25 Comments:

Anonymous michelle said...

Beautiful sweater. You are very talented. I found your blog via KnitPurl's newsletter in Portland.
Loved the title of the blog post because 16 Candles is one of my favorite movies. I have really fond memories of watching it with my two teenagers, who are now 32 and 28. Thanks again.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Looks fabulous on you! You did a great job in making it just right for you. How are ya liking them HH interchangeables?

6:51 PM  
Blogger kemtee said...

I like it. A lot. It is totally the perfect sweater.

Holy crap, that WAS a pig outside.…

6:55 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Fantastic!! That is the perfect cardi.
I sooooo hope you write it up as a pattern. I'd buy it in a second!

7:27 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow! That's so awesome! Well done! I hope you do write it up! (In a 36" size please and thank you). It's perfect!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Oh, that's FABULOUS!!! It looks SO cute on you!

I've got BW's "Knitting From the Top", too - I used it for hub's striped sweater last year - isn't it fantastic?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Gorgeous!! I absolutely love it!! It's the perfect cardi, hands down. Great job!!!

- Julie

8:39 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Dontcha love it when it comes together? I really like it. I would have knit it in black though. That light of a color means I would have stained it. Hee hee!

3:17 AM  
Blogger mooncalf said...

That is a great cardigan and I, for one, would be very interested in a pattern.

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's perfect! Looking forward to that pattern!

3:31 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

It is a perfect fit! And so cute. Great job.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Holy moly, girl, that is fabulous! I stand in awe of your math skills. Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine how one would go about figuring out how to get a sweater that met all of your requirements and came out looking so awesome. I bow down to your calculation and knitting skills!

5:04 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! that sweater really is just about perfect. did you alternate skeins at all or did lorna's just behave well for you?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

It is gorgeous. It really does go with everything, too!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

That is a perfect sweater and fit! And the subtle color variation looks fabulous. I like set in sleeves, and I think being able to do them top down is positively wonderful. I have Walker's book and Wendy Bernard's book, and I like seeing that the methods actually work out so well!

8:04 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow, that is really awesome! Love the deep V. Congrats! It's great when something turns out exactly how you envisioned!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

very nice - I luv it!!! Need a test knitter???

8:43 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

This is perfect!! I have four skeins of MadTosh Worsted that I was going to make a Favorite Cardigan out of, but wasn't too sure about off-the-shoulder thing. Your cardigan, however, is much closer to what I want. You've inspired me! I think I'll bust out my Barbara Walker book and come up with a sweater I'll really like, like yours!

9:46 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

You so that thing with the perfect wardrobe item too? Gosh, I thought it was just me. Ice cream never really gets rid of the angst. Comes close, though.

Fantasteek! Let me know if you need a test knitter, if you decide to write it up. I'm yer woman.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Wow - I saw this on Ravelry, and I can't believe you just made it up! It is beautiful and looks fantastic on you - great job! And would love to buy the pattern (no pressure of course!)...

5:12 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I do that all the time - envision the perfect wardrobe item and then never find it. Good for you for not only finding it, but designing and knitting it yourself. It looks fab on you!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That's beautiful, no wonder everyone wants the pattern! Love the name :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

I want me one of these! Pattern please!!!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I would love the pattern! Please post it on Ravelry when you can. Thanks!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Team Johnston said...

Can't wait till you post the pattern! A sweater that I would wear all time! :) Let me know if you want some test knitters!! :) I'm fow003 on ravelry.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home