Thursday, August 06, 2009

Thurston for a cravat

Ya gotta love a quickie.
Ruffle Cravat 1
Especially when it's a stashbuster!


I started this on a lazy Saturday afternoon, and finished it later that night. It took less than 200 yards, and used up some Berroco Pure Merino that's been sitting in the stash for two years!

Ruffle Cravat 4
It also helped me dust off my newbie crochet skills. I'm not entirely sure I hooked this correctly, I suspect I turned and started one of the rows a chain off. But at least I did it consistently. And hey, it looks like the pattern pic, so booyah!

Ruffle Cravat 3
The original pattern calls for bulky, which is laughable where I live, so I subbed in a worsted weight yarn, K hook, and did 29 motifs total. It used up virtually all but a few inches of yarn (I was sweating it there in the end), with a final length of 60" - long enough to wrap around once if worn as a scarf, or twice if channeling Thurston Howell the Third and worn as a cravat.
(And if you're too young to know who Thurston Howell the Third is, get out.)

Yarn thoughts
Dear Berroco,
Your Pure Merino is so soft and squooshy. But a measly 92 yards per ball? Boooo.
That is all.

Wrap it up
Quick, easy, and super cute, too! Just how I like my men. Er, I mean, how I used to like them before I met my husband. I swear, honey.
Ruffle Cravat 2
Crochet Ruffle Cravat

Pattern: One Skein
Yarn: Berroco Pure Merino, 2 balls in Ballerina Pink
Crochet Hook: K
Mods: Worsted weight yarn, smaller hook, more motifs

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute scarf! I'm impressed with your crochet skills, mine are not nearly so advanced! It certainly looks like you followed the pattern completely correctly!

3:30 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Very nice! I'm more impressed w/your ability to read a crochet pattern. Something I have yet to learn.

What is that thing the scarf is on though?

3:40 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I wonder how Thurston Howell III would have liked a pink crocheted cravat?

4:18 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

You forgot pink. You like your men pink. It IS really cute. Looks like a perfect 9 year old niece Christmas present. Hmm. Time to pick up my hook again? Dammit! You always do this to me! Bloody inspirational crafter.

5:48 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cute and feminine! isn't crochet fun? i love how fast it goes.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cute!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

Very nice! I just recently taught myself to crochet and am working my way through a baby blanket. I love using bits of stash!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Way to stashbust!!
I am still really anxious to learn crochet. It seems so fast.

12:23 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Lovey it!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice! And who cares if it's "right," it looks good!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very cute - I'm impressed with your crochet skills! :-)

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home