Monday, August 24, 2009

Cutie patootie

EEEEEEE! Baby sweater!
February Baby Sweater 1
Baby knits are so. fun. and so. cute! It must be their teeny tinyness. Yes, that's an industry term. At least, it should be.

I knit this for a friend of mine, because her one-year-old daughter is seriously, ovary-tugging adorable. I just had to knit her something. Had to. You know what I mean, right? Of course you do.

February Baby Sweater 2
The great thing about this pattern? The instructions are a paragraph long. Short and sweet, gotta love that!

The sucky thing about this pattern? The instructions are a paragraph long. No schematics or measurements, and fairly ambiguous in places. Sorta textbook EZ - she liked to make you think!
February Baby Sweater 3
Since I wanted to size this up for 12-18 months, some modding was in order (yes, even to a pattern one paragraph long). Here's my rundown:

  • Cast on 71 stitches. Note: Row 1 and all odd rows are WS rows.
  • Knit 2 rounds of increases. Note: I swatched a few different types of increases and went with the backwards loop cast-on for this. It was the least noticeable, IMO.
  • Knit yoke for 26 rows total, with buttonholes on Rows 4, 14, and 24. Note: LOVE this mod! I think the sweater is much cuter with a longer yoke.
  • Cast on 7 at each underarm, put sleeves on waste yarn, then finished the body.
  • Knit sleeves in the round to about 3/4-length. This wasn't for style purposes, I just ran out of yarn. :P
  • Bound-off in knit instead of purl. Gave it a more finished look.
The final measurements: 24" chest, 12" length, 6.5" sleeves (to UA), 5" armhole depth (measured diagonally). Fits her now, with a little room to grow in!

I even got my craft on and made a hanger tag to go with it.
February Baby Sweater 4
That brief scrapbooking phase I went through many years ago finally came in handy! ;)

Wrap it up

Love! Lovelovelovelovelovelovelove! There will definitely be more of these in the future. It's super fun to knit and soooooo damn cute. Even Hubster gushed a little. According to her mom, Miss Cutie Patootie loves it, too! And the crinkly tissue paper it came in.
February Baby Sweater 5
February Toddler Sweater

Pattern: Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Yarn: Cotton Ease, 1.75 skeins in Cherry Red (I think, there were some partial skeins used here and there, so don't quote me on this)
Needle: Holz & Stein Rosewood in size 7, 31
Mods: Sized up for 12-18 months, longer yoke, sleeves in the round, knit bind-off

16 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

It's beautiful! Just like the return of sweater weather here will be.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love the buttons -- they're such a perfect fit! You know, for as many times as I've knit this sweater, and as many as I've seen knit, I never get tired of it. So cute!

4:15 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

SO cute! Great mods. Love the little buttons you chose to go with it.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

It's gorgeous!! I love that you chose red, and the care/gift tag is such a nice detail. Great mods!

- Julie

4:42 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Great mods, and I love that color!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Teeny tiny cuteness indeed! Thanks for sharing your mods; I'm printing this out for future reference. Or maybe you could post the toddler pattern on Ravelry?

5:47 AM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

What's with the red baby sweaters in blogland today? Yours is super cute too :0)

6:36 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

aww, so cute! love the bold red.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Very cute! Great red too. My grandma knit me a sweater when I was little that had the same buttons.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

squee!!!!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Soo cute!! Ahem..I haz some of this color too (not that you need it now anyways.) ;)

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

That is adorable - and what a great color for a toddler sweater!

4:18 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

It's so cute! Squeee. Yup, I just squeed. I agree with you-the longer yoke is cuter. Great job!

6:53 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Goodness! Too darn cute!! Love it!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

That is so cute. Love the bright red color, the buttons, even that round tag you attached to it. It's a fabulous gift.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So cute! What a great use of scrapbooking paper. Scrapbooking wasn't for me, but I still have oodles of fancy papers left.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home