Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cookies for a Cotty

I normally go all bright for summertime knitting, but here's a little taste of Christmas!
Cotty2
It's the uber-fabulous Cotty pattern in STR in The Cookie Next Door colorway. Dontcha wanna reach out and take a bite? (I mean that in a good, you're-my-own-personal-brand-of-heroin kind of way).
Cotty1
And check it out, my first picot sock cuff! Only for you, Carrie. :)

As written, you cast on normally and pick up stitches to finish off the pretty little picot. I tried it that way a couple of times, but I kept ending up with one or two extra stitches. (I later found out this is completely normal, so if you haven't knit this yet, go forth and cast on!)

So I opted instead to sub in a provisional cast-on. Now, you may have heard me mention on occasion that I suck at provisional cast-ons. I can do it, it just makes me throw my knitting at the wall takes a few tries, and still often turns out a tad too loose or too tight.

Cotty3
Enter the long-tail provisional cast-on. Freakin' brilliant! Thank you Zonda for linking to this once! I bookmarked it back then and was able to unearth it from my foggy memory when needed!

SUPER easy to do a provisional cast-on this way. You do have to work a little harder to unzip it, however. Just like you would have to unpick every individual stitch of a long-tail cast-on, such is the case with this method. But I actually find that a plus and well worth the extra time, as it makes it almost impossible to accidentally drop a stitch.


The only other mods I made were to:
1) gradually decrease down to 52 stitches after the cuff for a snugger fit around the ankles/feet and
2) sub in my favorite EoP heel flap (it's a sickness, I tell you).

A tip on decreasing: If you choose to do this, make sure you decrease within the stockinette sections to keep the YOs lined up along the sides. For example: (lace stitch pattern)(decrease)(stockinette section)(decrease)(lace stitch pattern), repeat for other half.

Cotty4
The pattern is fantastic - well-written, easy to memorize, easy to custom fit, looks great in both variegated and solid colorways, and works up quickly. If you don't have a copy of Cotty yet, go get it now!

Wrap it up
I liked this colorway in the skein, I LOVE how it knit up! So pretty! This was the perfect pattern for it, too - the lace and picot cuff add interest, while the stockinette panels show off the beautiful way these colors meld together. A pair like this makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Which is a good thing, even in the summer.
Cotty5
Cookie Cotty

Pattern: Cotty, by Irishgirlieknits
Yarn: Socks that Rock Mediumweight, 1 skein in The Cookie Next Door
Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel, size 1.5, 32"
Mods: Long-tail provisional cast-on, decreased stitches from end of cuff to ankle, EoP heel flap

18 Comments:

Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh, pretty pretty pretty. Am I the only one who hasn't knit these yet? Shame on me.

3:16 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Those are adorable! And kudos to you for trying the provisional cast on. I ended up with an extra stiche or two when I did my picot edge so I faked it. Which is pretty much how I do most of my knitting

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Gorgeous socks - great colorway, and gorgeous pattern - great job!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee! Cpurl! I was thinking about how much I fake a provisional cast on myself. I'm too lazy to learn real techniques. So I kinda fudge my way thru it.

Those are delish. Do they make your feet smell freshly baked?

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

Ooo! Ooo! I'm making a pair of Cotty's right now too. First sock pattern I've ever paid for. Gotta love Carrie!

Your socks make me long for the cold of winter. Will summer ever end?

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really love the colourway. Still have a thing about knitting socks though!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those sock are so cute -- the colorway totally works with the pattern.

Like how you snuck that Twilight quote in there, too!

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are so pretty!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

love those socks!! and I've been a fan of the long tail provisional, I've been using it for a while, but it does take a while to unzip.

- Julie

8:00 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

I'm in love with your sock. I think I've finally caught Cottie Fever (which is way better than H1N1).

8:31 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Lovely! I like that you can knit them in variegated or solid. Versatile.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oooh I have that colorway too! Your freshly baked feet look good! ;)

4:36 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Beautiful socks; I love the color!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Love your yarn choice for Cotty! Very festive, and doesn't overwhelm the pattern. It's just right.

5:52 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ooooh that colorway looks so pretty knit up!

And dammit. I bought another skein of lemongrass at the sock summit because of you.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Very pretty! I'll have to look up that cast on. I have not had fun trying to do them in the past.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Great socks!!! I def need that pattern STAT.

11:41 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay!! So pretty!!! I'm so glad you did the picot cuff too!! They turned out great!!

....and I can't believe I'm so behind on my blog reading that I'm just now seeing this post! oops...

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home