Tuesday, July 07, 2009

I am 16, going on 17...

*snort* Yeah, right. Couldn't pay me to be that age again! But the sweater, the sweater I'll take!
Liesl1
Finished just in time to wear on the Fourth! I drew the line at blue shorts, though.


I needed something cute and chic and quick after a miserable FAIL at a top-down raglan sweater that had recently come off the needes (which has since been frogged, so don't expect to see that one. ever.). Liesl was the perfect solution! It's one of those magical sweaters that has a universally flattering fit. Don'tcha just love those?

Liesl2
The pattern is quick and simple, a top-down seamless yoke construction with an easy-to-memorize lace pattern that skims your figure with no need for waist shaping. It comes with a boatload of options for sleeves, necklines, and bindoffs as well. I do wish she'd popped in a schematic, but other than that, it was worth every penny.


Only a few mods here:
- Since my stockinette gauge was a helluva lot tighter, I used the 42" stitch counts to achieve something in the range of 32"(ish).
- Knitted with an inch(ish) of negative ease.
- Used a size 13 needle for both the cast-on and bind-off to keep them nice and stretchy with the lace. This worked especially great for the neckline!
- Added short sleeves (cap sleeves + weez = gah! my eyes! my eyes!)
Liesl3
This was my first seamless yoke sweater, and I love the construction! I'm going to start trolling the Rav database for more.

Oh, I should also point out that as noted above, I knitted this with an inch or so of negative ease. The pattern is intended for 0 ease, which is what you should aim for if you're planning to wear it all buttoned up. But it's summer and I'm a shameless hussy, so I really only plan to wear it with that third one buttoned.

Liesl4
Do you have a flag?


Yarn thoughts

My first garment in Cotton Ease and I must say - this yarn is great! It's a 50/50 cotton/acrylic blend, but you'd never guess about the acrylic if it weren't on the label. It's machine washable, very soft and sooooooper comfy. Didn't fade or pill either, plus its cheap and easy to find. Like most cottons, it can be a bit tiring on the hands while you're knitting, but other than that, it's a winner! I'll definitely be making more sweaters with this.

Wrap it up
I liked it on the needles, but on, it was love! I'm going to wear this all summer long. It'll be in every picture. People will think I have nothing else to wear. Then again, I could just knit another one...

Liesl5
Liesl

Pattern: by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Cotton Ease, 2.5 skeins in Cherry Red
Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel in 9, 24" + gigantor plastic 13 for CO/BO
Mods: Tighter gauge, short sleeves, negative ease

17 Comments:

Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Very flattering! It is a great sweater and looks wonderful on you. I'm going to queue this one -- but since I've knit 0 sweaters so far, it's just a dream.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

It looks awesome on you!

So, you liked the Cotton Ease? I used it doubled in a baby blanket and I wasn't that thrilled with it. Very splitty. Maybe I should try again on something where it wouldn't be doubled.

5:07 PM  
Blogger ACraftyKnitter said...

You could always knit one in every available color of Cotton-Ease, so that you have an entire wardrobe full- then no one will think that you wear one outfit constantly!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

SO CUTE! It looks REALLY good on you!

No flag, no country. According to the rules I... uh... made up just now.

:D

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Great sweater - it looks beautiful on you. I used Cotton Ease for something last year and did like it - its very light for cotton, which is nice in a sweater. Love the sweater though - makes me want to cast on for it today.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I love it w/the short sleeves! I'll have to knit this out of Cotton Plus--higher cotton content and softer than Cotton Ease. Sorry, I"m a cheap yarn snob! ;-)

3:38 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I was thinking of commenting using lyrics from the song, but then I thought my geek would be showing too much.

Anyway, the sweater is adorable! I actually think it's cuter when it's not all buttoned up.

4:24 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Oh, that is SO cute. I'm going to have to be a weeza copycat and make one for me now. See what you make me do?

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day now. I'm sure my labmates thank you, since I'll be singing it at the top of my lungs.

5:37 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

you should definitely make more than one. it's such a quick pattern with so many options that there's no excuse not to. i'm actually considering knitting another for my mom.

yours looks great on you and i love the red!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Looks fantastic! I may have to queue this pattern on Rav. Love the red color.

I still wore retainers when I was 17--very glad I can't go back to that age!

5:45 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Fabulous!! I love it!! Its been in my queue for awhile now...I even have yarn for it...just need to cast on!

Seriously perfect fit and color for you! I say knit another straight away!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Looks great! I started a second Liesl recently, and I agree-it's gratifying to knit something so quickly and not have to mess with a bunch of seaming afterwards.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..a color palatte of CE Liesl's! Love it! And my favorite color :)

7:39 PM  
Blogger LizKnits said...

Love it!

2:22 PM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

It looks great! and perfect for summer, I knit Gretel by her and loved it, off to the store to buy the pattern!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Really really cute!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Super cute! I'm catching up on blogs today. So forgive my 1,000 comments.

Reading yours is helping get my knitting mojo back.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home