Monday, May 04, 2009

KAL and weave

MCW Socks 1
I generally run screaming shy away from knitalongs, even the low-pressure ones, since knitting on a deadline kinda sucks the fun out of it for me. But how can you resist when it's the ubercool Socks that Rawk group on Rav! Hanging out there is like hanging out in the knitty coffeeshop (well, if memory serves - sadly, I don't get over there too often these days). Everyone is so supportive and fun and helpful! I loves you guys. :)
MCW Socks 2
When the Q2 KAL came up, I decided to jump on in. After a false start with the Shurt'... Shur't... oh, whatever that pattern is, I frogged and went with the alternate, which was Mad Color Weave. It worked MUCH better with this colorway - and was a lot easier on the hands!

MCW Socks 3
A few mods (of course!):

- Made the cuff a few rows longer
- Ditched the front cables, expanded the weave stitch pattern instead (I thought it would look kinda groovy with just one set of cables carried all the way down the flap, and I totally dig it, man! Oops, apologies for '70s stoner vocab, still riding high on Friday's Dollhouse.)
- Knit seven repeats on the leg instead of six
- Did my own thing with the flap, gusset, foot, and toe (skipped the purl increases on the flap, turned heel starting with k19, picked up 16 on each side for the gussets, decreased gussets down to 31 stitches, then decreased the side purls on the instep 4 rows later, followed my standard toe formula)

This is a very easy to memorize pattern and as you can see, it works great with variegated colorways!
MCW Socks 4
Yarn thoughts

Socks that Rock, my favorite sock yarn! Uh, that be all.

Wrap it up
I like how these turned out! Now me, I don't mind pooling or flashing (unless it's some creepy dude in a raincoat), but this pattern did a great job of showing off this colorway to its best advantage. And when you're knitting along with the fab group that is Socks that Rawk, you really can't go wrong. :)
MCW Socks 5
Mad Color Weave Socks

Pattern: by Knit Tenacity or here on Rav
Yarn: Socks that Rock Lightweight in Lemongrass
Needles: HiyaHiya Stainless Steels in size 1, 32"
Mods: Ditched the front cables (expanded weave stitch pattern instead), slightly longer cuff and leg, did my own thing with the flap, gusset, heel, and toe

15 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

They look great! I love that green, and the pattern. I've been such a sucker for slipped stitches lately, I don't know what it is. They're beautiful.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oooh! I likey!! I also likey my new pair of HiyaHiya's

7:04 PM  
Blogger Thea said...

wow. gorgeous gorgeous socks and lovely pics.

7:06 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow! They turned out so awesome! Didn't I destash that color to you? Why the hell did I do that?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

They're beautiful!

And yeah, I LOOOOOOVED this week's Dollhouse. PERFECT casting for Alpha. :D

7:31 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those are just gorgeous!!

So behind in the KAL...I'm supposed to knit Shurtagal...but like you said, that is the best group on ravelry ever, so they don't mind if I'm behind!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ohhhh...i;ve never seen that pat b4! sorry 4 the text speak---moochie in lap!

3:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I honestly don't know how I've missed this pattern. It looks great! And I have to say that your Lemongrass turned out so much better than mine (mine pooled).

4:21 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Wow, they're all purdy and springy-y. Didn't I make those socks once? I like yours better.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Love them! I haven't knit with STR yet, but I've got some sitting in the stash, just waiting to be loved. This looks like a fantastic pattern choice for your yarn.

6:29 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very pretty and springy! it's nice to see that you've gotten back into the sock knitting groove. :-)

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

luv luv luv!!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

wow, those are stunning socks!! I love the stitch pattern, it really shows off the yarn, and such great textural interest! Great job!!!

- Julie

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Those are gorgeous socks! I realy like the mods you did - love the woven stitch. Great colorway too!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous pattern! I may have to stash dive for that one!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home