Monday, March 09, 2009

Rowr!

What happens when you knit a sexy, comfy cardi in Malabrigo?
Lion Neck Cardi 1
You hit the sweater trifecta.

I LOVE this thing. Loveitloveitloveit. Did I mention that I love it? 'Cause I love it. In case you didn't catch that, I love it. Am I being too subtle?

(Note: Before you all think I knit in my sleep like Irishgirlieknits ;), I finished the Weezaby last month, not last week!)

Lion Neck Cardi 2
Deep blue comfy.

This is the Lion Neck Cardigan from Custom Knits. The book version is knit in bulky weight yarn on size 11s. Not being a bulky yarn kind of girl (and not having size 11s), I modded it down for worsted weight and knitted it up on size 9s for the same drape and feel.


Since it's a raglan knit top down, it was easy to mess around with all the stitch counts and measurements to get just the right fit. And because it's a raglan knit top down, I really didn't have to mess around too much after the initial cast on. I had some basic calcs jotted down as a guideline, but just tried it on and tweaked as I went along. Here's an overall rundown of the mods:

- Knit at a smaller stitch and row gauge on worsted weight yarn
- Knit the sleeves right after the yoke (HIGHLY recommend, so much easier to manage!)
- Slightly shorter length all around (because I'm a slightly shorter length all around)
- Knit 4" of ribbing instead of 5"
- Lowered the placement of the ties

I initially tried adding in some waist shaping, but it didn't look quite right. So instead, I strategically placed the ties slightly lower than written, which pulls the cardi in and shapes the waist automatically. Sweet!
Lion Neck Cardi 3
Yes, Hubster, I know you're hungry. Now shut up and take the picture.

The fit, the sleeves, the length, everything is spot on, knitting top-down rules! Seriously, go get this book and/or Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top (which I read last month from cover to cover). I don't just wanna knit everything top down now - I kinda want frog every sweater that didn't fit and re-knit them, too!

Yarn thoughts
Malabrigo. You complete me.

This entire sweater took just 4.25 skeins, including the ruffle and ties. Turns out spit-splicing and size 9 Hiya Hiyas complete me, too.

Wrap it up
In case you hadn't guessed, I lurve this! The curve-skimming fit, the wide open neckline, the big ol' ruffle, everything works together to make you feel super cute and flirty. That Wendy, she ain't kidding - this is what you wanna be wearing when you run into your ex-boyfriend. Because he will go home and kick himself for letting your sexy ass go.

Lion Neck Cardi 6
Oh, and one more thing - the ruffle is great for catching all of the little crumbs that fall off your Almond Crunch Wetzel Pretzel. You know, in case you wanna save them for later.
Lion Neck Cardi 4
Lion Neck Cardi
Pattern: Custom Knits
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted, 4.25 skeins in Marine
Needle: HiyaHiya Stainless Steel, Size 9, 24" + 9, 16" for sleeves and ruffle
Mods: Worsted weight, smaller gauge, all different counts and measurements for a custom fit

19 Comments:

Blogger AfternoonMoon said...

Kick-ass hot!
Love the color too

5:39 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow! What an amazing knit! It looks fantastic!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Holy crap, woman! That looks amazing!

5:52 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Did you knit a body guard to go with this sweater? You will need some serious protection wearing this! Super hot. Any chance you would give out your mods? I'm not exactly into the bulky yarns right now, as my butt has enough bulk for the rest of me.

Very nice!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Totally fabulous!! I loved it in the book but no to bulky too! You rock!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome sweater. Love the color, love it all. Would also love a pretzel.

10:27 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

OMG!! I absolutely love it! I loved that pattern in the book, but was so turned off by the "bulky."

You were probably the hottest chick at the wetzel pretzel place :) Seriously, fabulous sweater!

I'm flattered by your delusions regarding my knitting! Here's a deal...I'll knit you socks, you knit me a sweater. Heck, I'd even knit you two pairs :) hugs!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Girl, you look HOT in that sweater! I'm not sure how you did it, but you made that Malabrigo look like velvet. Oh so sexy.

5:04 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Da. AYUM. That sweater is farting fanTAStic! I guess you don't need to hear from one more person that it looks fabulous on you. :) You *are* the sweater queen lately. You are also making me want to run and get my copy of Custom Knits and cast on for everything in that book. Must. Finish. Current. Sweater. First.

5:38 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice! i was none too swayed by the one in the book, but this sweater really does flatter everyone. faboo!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

WOW! Just, WOW! Did I say WOW?! Gorgeous sweater. And the added benefit of a crumb-catcher? Sweet!

12:08 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That sweater (and you in it) is GORGEOUS!

and my word verification word is "fabera" which could be a new word to decribe the weezalana effect. "omg, everything she touches is just fabera..."

5:54 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

FABULOUS!!! Really beautiful knit. And malabrigo completes me, too.

1:25 PM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

Wow! Looks absolutely fantastic!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Sydney said...

That is one beautiful sweater. Awesome job! I love my Malabrigo, but I never would expect it could look like that.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I long for a sweater in Malabrigo. Yum!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an absolutely gorgeous sweater!!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shazam! This is awesome....scurries off to buy book....

3:50 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

I so love this, I featured it on my blog today as an example of a figure-flattering knit.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home