Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Final Four

Kitchen Towel 4-pk 1
Swirly, heeee.


Remember those
kitchen towels I made last year? Yeah, they're pretty much toast now. (When they reach texture of Brillo with grey blotches in the center, it's time to relegate them to the rag pile.)

It was time for a new set! I didn't want to bother with any cutesy images or textures, though - since I use these primarily to dry my hands off in the kitchen, I've discovered those can be a little rough on the skin. But I wanted something with a *little* interest at least. Enter the Octagonal Swirl!

Kitchen Towel 4-pk 2
Ironed for the first - and last - time. Just for you, my friends!


They're ridiculously easy (as in, read the pattern once and you'll never need to look at it again) and fast
(I knit all of these up in one afternoon), with just a little som'in som'in to up the cute factor. Works great with both variegated and solids, too, which is always a bonus!

Now you'd think I could knit a freakin' towel without making any changes, but nope! I only made two mods, however, and they were both very minor:


- Went up to 12 YOs for the three larger towels, to 10 for the smaller
(sitting on top in the pic below)
- BO to the last three stitches, then added a bit of i-cord to fashion the loop

That's all there was to it really!
Kitchen Towel 4-pk 3
Sorry boys, but size does matter!


Yarn thoughts
One is already in use and yup, that Peaches & Creme is definitely softer than Sugar'nCream. I wash my hands often when I'm in the kitchen and these are already much nicer to dry 'em off with.

We'll have to see how they hold up to daily use and multiple washings, but Peaches is definitely my new cheapy cotton of choice!
Kitchen Towel 4-pk 4
Wrap it up
Nothing like a new set of bright, happy towels to help ring in the Spring! They aren't just great in the kitchen, either. They also come with a built-in entertainment factor! When you're done, it's super fun to toss them in the air like pizza dough while singing
Funiculi Funicula at the top of your lungs. Your neighbors will like that, too.
Kitchen Towel 4-pk 5
Kitchen Towel 4-pack

Pattern:
Octagonal Swirl Cloth by Dishcloth Boutique
Yarn:
Peaches & Creme, 1 skein in Daisy Ombre (#165) + 1 skein in Sunburst (#11)
Needles:
Holz & Stein Ebony Size 7, 16" + Rosewood Size 7, 31"
Mods:
Slightly smaller size, i-cord loop

8 Comments:

Blogger chemgrrl said...

Lookit you go, miss crazy blogger knitter person. Have a finished sweater you've been hiding as well?

Those are effing cute. Plus, they don't stick to the ceiling when you throw them up in the air. Bonus!

3:23 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

and they're no-cal!

Cute, cute, cute!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Those are really nice. So, if you use them to dry your hands, how big are they? They look like they're washcloth size, but I am probably wrong.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Haha!! Leave it to you to make dish towels a fun post! Love them!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I sincerely hope you've posted a video somewhere on YouTube of you singing "Funniculi, Funnicula" and tossing a dishcloth.

4:16 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ooh I like those! So bright and cheery and swirly!

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Very pretty - so bright and cute!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHA! I can imagine the pizza tossing and singing now. Very Springy!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home