Monday, December 22, 2008

Shifting Metrosexual

Shifting Sands 1
I'm skinny and squooshy! Skooshy? Squonny? Squiskonny!


My older brother is like the poster boy for Metrosexuals-r-us. Which is especially funny if you're his sister and remember how he was the poster boy for Seattle grunge we were younger. But hey, bringing up embarrassing moments from your past and telling anyone who will listen is what little sisters are for, right?

Well, that and knitting you cool stuff.

Shifting Sands 2
I'm so easy. Must be why I'm popular.


Cable me crazy
Since is the first time I've knit for him, I decided to let MetroBro - being that he's a dude and you know how freakishly boring picky they can be - choose what he wanted (from a pre-screened selection of course, I ain't stoopid). He requested this, a narrow version of Grumperina's Shifting Sands Scarf.

At first glance, this pattern might seem like a PITA. I mean, seriously, just lookit all those cables! But it's actually very easy and quite fun to knit! Especially if you know how to cable without a cable needle. (Which, if you haven't tried it yet, I HIGHLY recommend. Great tutorial here.) Easy to memorize, too, which made it go by super fast - a plus when you're knitting a scarf! As did knitting with Malabrigo, which is really, really hard to put down. Soft. Squooshy. Heee.
Shifting Sands 3
One skein! One skein!


Since this was going narrow and with a heavier weight yarn, I made a few mods to accommodate:
  • CO 22 stitches
  • Added 4 rows of moss stitch at each end (oops, sorry, didn't get the ends in the pics before I shipped it off!)
  • BO on the wrong side in reverse rib (i.e., purled if it was a knit stitch and vice versa) to maintain the border pattern while leaving a nice, stretchy edge
  • Ditched the fringe (according to Hubster, not even a metrosexual man would want fringe - I thought it looked cool but deferred to the male judgment)
It blocked out great, too. The finished size turned out perfectly at 67" x 4.5". And get this - all from one skein, yes, one skein of Malabrigo! Doncha just love that?
Shifting Sands 4
Me fluff you long time.

Yarn thoughts
Mmmmmmalabrigo. *sigh* I love this stuff. If it were superwash, I might implode from the joy.

Wrap it up
Dude, he’s lucky I’m such a great sister. Otherwise I’d be tempted to keep this! I love the way it turned out and hopefully, so will he!
Shifting Sands 5
Shifting Sands Lite

Pattern: Shifting Sands by Grumperina
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted, 1 skein in Vaa
Needle: Addi Turbo, Size 9, 24"
Mods: CO less for narrow version, moss stitch edging, BO in reverse rib, sans fringe

12 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

it looks gorgeous and so squishable. lucky brother!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Fabulous! If your brother decides he doesn't want it, you can send it my way. ;-)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Bee-you-tee-fool! Congratulations on doing something so special for your brother.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Wow! I love that. The shifting sands always sounded like such a pain... but by making it narrower it seems like a much more possible scarf. And uber metro!

10:52 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Ah yes. The shifting sands. The pattern that twarted me. Well, more like the pattern I got bored with *while I was knitting the swatch* which is never a good sign. But yours is so pretty! Er, I mean manly. So manly in fact, that it looks like it might start spontaneously start growing hair.

11:18 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

...so fast that it starts twice, apparently.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He's gonna love it. I love it. I wanna steal it. Does he live around here? If so, tell him to watch out for crazy, redhaired scarf stealers!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hot damn, that's metrosexxaay!!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

GOR-geous. I want to rub it on my face. You are truly a great sis.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, that's a nice scarf. I don't think I like my brother enough to give away a scarf that gorgeous. Well, plus the fact he lives in Florida.

8:19 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

You are a fabulous sister!! Love that scarf!! Snowboarder would be all over that!

And, is that a Bezzie comment I just read? Didn't she just have a baby like a couple days ago?!!?! She rocks too!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Fabo scarf there!! Hehe...he is a lucky MSGuy indeed LOL!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home