Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Last year, we bought a gigantic bag of Tootsie Roll pops, were home early, and only unloaded half the bag. After 7:30 pm, that was it. Nobody else came by except for a couple of random high schoolers (who are too old for this and really should know better; although, I admit, I did go trick or treating once in college - but in my defense, we'd had a few drinks, were at a really boring party, and we were in costume. Plus, at one house they gave us beers, which somehow made it okay).

This year, I picked up smaller bags of Smarties, M&Ms, and Candy Apple pops. Since neither one us got home until after 7pm, I figured the mad rush had already passed and gave the first half a dozen kids that came by heeyuge handfuls (those kids totally scored).

Then, all of a sudden, bam! Mad rush at 7:45pm! Gave away all three bags PLUS the leftover stash of pops from last year (lollipops don't go bad, right?). I think I actually had to give some poor child a pack of gum before we could turn the lights off and hide.

And just now - porch lights off, at almost 9:30 PM - three kids actually knocked on our door.
I have to say, it's really too late to be trick-or-treating, and everyone knows lights off is the universal sign for we don't got no candy, but I still felt bad having to tell them we were out.

Dude, I hope we don't get egged later.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Man, you guys are popular! I think we only got like 15-20 kids total, and they came in a few groups. I was expecting a lot more; now I have all this leftover candy and I'm likely to eat it myself. Not a good situation.

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had the most kids this year that we've even had in this house -3 sets. We live pretty far out and our street is dark so no one comes to our house. In previous years, we didn't get any trick or treaters. So we were shocked when we got that many!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Woah, I don't answer the door if the lights are off!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Mychawd said...

Mean either, and when you said 9:30 I thought high school kids with poop in a bag. How did things turn out?

7:05 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

9:30?? Really? What were they thinking? And yeah, universal sign for "don't knock" for sure. Geez.

3rd year in a row - not a single trick-or-treater. I gave up buying candy a while ago.

7:49 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Well, at least you don't have any candy left over :) Happy Halloween!

9:41 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I usually get about 150-200 kids but this year, it was slower (we had a little rain) so now I'm left alone with tons of leftover candy.

10:36 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

It was so nice here, there were loads. what is up with knocking whent the light is off? EVERYONE knows that means no trick or treating. You should have been allowed to take something out of their bag! LOL

11:03 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm in college and feel like I shouldn't go trick-or-treating either, but we decided to go trick-or-canning for food for a homeless shelter and we went late enough (8:15?) that all the people tried to unload the rest of the candy off of us and didn't seem to mind that we were a little old for trick-or-treating. That was so weird.

And now I have way too much candy. Lots of cans too.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Bezzie. Lights off means no need to open the door!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home