Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Come to the Faux Isle

Fauxnilla Socks 1
Come to where the vanilla is, come to faux isle country.


So, I meant to take pics of both my socks and shrug over the weekend, but I got sucked into watching seasons 3, 4 and 5 of The Office was very busy doing many important, productive things. But I did manage to squeeze these in!

Zzzzzzzzzz
I've never done plain ol' stockinette socks before, but with a funky patterned yarn like this one, it was the only way to go. You can see in the cuff there
(which I did make longer than usual, prolly to avoid the stockinette vacuum that was coming after) that even ribbing would have obscured it. So I just threw a Sherman heel into the mix and voila! Riveting, ain't they.

The yarn was on the thinner side, so I knitted these up on size 0s. Not an experience I hope to repeat anytime soon. Neither is plain stockinette. It was a bit of a snoozer. It also started to get a little baggy around the ankle, so I gradually decreased along the sides (starting a couple of inches above the heel) to get a snugger fit.

As you can see, there's still some sag action there, but I sense that's unavoidable with stockinette socks.
Fauxnilla Socks 2
Sherman is my short row EoP!


Yarn thoughts
This is Regia Avenue Color, which was a gift from the lovely Batty, waaaaaaaay back when during knitty's SP8 round. Isn't the fake fair isle thing cool? It was fun watching each row come off the needles!

Cool as it looks, though, this not the softest of yarns. It's a bit on the scratchy side, truth be told. But they'll wear like a champ! These socks survived a year in my purse as my emergency wip (what, doesn't everybody have one of those?), accidentally got run through the washer/dryer on hot/high AND had a bit of a tussle with some Velcro, yet there's no fading, no felting, and just a little pilling (did have to use the fabric shaver in a few spots after the Velcro smackdown, but now you can't even tell).

But I'm all about the feel - fun as it was seeing the patterning play out, I won't be knitting with this again.

Wrap it up
They weren't very enjoyable to knit, and they aren't very soft, but I do so dig the fake isle patterning! And since the yarn came from my first and fabulous SP pal Batty, they'll always make me smile. :)
Fauxnilla Socks 3
Fauxnilla Socks

Pattern: 2x2 ribbed cuff, Sherman heel, and mucho stockinette
Yarn: Regia Avenue Color, 1 skein Libelle (aka #1112)
Needles: KP size 0, 32

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sputter* Velcro smackdown? I was drinking coffee when I read that...too funny!

3:38 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love me a plain stockinette sock though. Great car knitting or when you just need something mindless that you don't have to watch what you're doing. They look great!

4:31 AM  
Blogger LizzieK8 said...

Most of my socks are plain vanilla. Matter of preference. I don't get the bagging 'round the ankle, tho...

6:25 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

They are purdy. I like those weird pattern-type-yarn things, even though I don't knit with them very often. And if you want to do it again in the future, I suggest Regia silk, which *is* very soft, and wears like a champ. The blub's had a pair for 3 years now, and not a sign of holes, and very little pilling.

6:35 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i love plain stockinette socks. there's just something relaxing about them. i also find that other people are fascinated by the self-striping yarns way after they are old-hat to me. they make great gifts. i've had better reactions to self-striping stockinette socks than i have to more complicated cabled socks. *sniff*

6:48 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm with knotty, I like knitting them because they require no brain power. And I'm quite the lazy knitter. But yet I'd still take chocolate over vanilla...huh!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Plain stockinette is a major snoozer. I've only made one pair, and I damn near didn't finish them. What's more boring than plain stockinette? Plain stockinette in a solid color. Now that's painful.

The socks look great. The fake isle pattern is much more subtle than what I've seen in other yarns.

4:46 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Sometimes the brain needs a cruise control sock...and those sure came out pretty!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I need a plain stockinette sock like every five pairs. It's boring, yes, but it's also very soothing because you don't have to think. And you're so right about the self-patterning yarn. It never fails to excite me.

(Hmm, my word verification is "hoetta." Think that means anything?)

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great socks - I do like plain stockinette sometimes...

5:18 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Those are super cute!! Even if they are a bit scratchy. Heck anything that survives hot water and velcro deserves a little somethin somethin!!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well I do like them and your extra long cuff!

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home