Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fall behind

Spring Forward 4
Can we set the clocks back now? Please?


Fall behind. Yeeeup! Preeeetty much how I'm feeling these days. My lovely, flexible freelance schedule now seems a distant memory. *sigh* But eh, it's just 'til the end of the year. Then I'll be back to working in my pajamas. :D Besides, after three years of tormenting me with games like "Broken Cabinet Surprise" and "Oven Temperature Lotto," it's time to tell my kitchen to shut it. So, I just shuffle up and deal.

And when it all gets to be too much, I put on these babies! Oh yeah. That's the stuff.

Spring Forward 2
The Pink Lady's pledge, to act cool, to look cool, and to beeee cool...


Pink lady cool
These socks? Are cool. As in, hanging with a high school biker that looks 45 with a pre-Flock of Seagulls pompadour cool. And I mean that in a good way.

'Cause look! Look how pretty! All those groovy twists and turns, and those lacy bits in between - hard to believe there are only two patterned rows in the chart. You just repeat them over and over again! Which makes this a
great pattern for mindless tv knitting. Handy when you're watching "Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles" and need to distract yourself from the dumbass parts. ("He's a scary robot. You're a really scary robot." Spoken by a grown man? I mean, come ON.)

Only made a couple of mods for fit:

- Decreased 6 stitches in the back of leg after the 48th row
(by skipping stitches 1 and 7) to make it tighter around the ankle
- Subbed in my usual EoP flap for 32 rows. (I can't help it. I'm an EoPflapaholic. Somebody help me.)
- Decreased the instep only for the first two rows of the toe to even out the stitch count.
Spring Forward 3
Koigu ain't got nothing on the Pigeonroof!


Yarn thoughts
This is Pigeonroof Studios Superwash Merino Sock and I.
LOVE. this. yarn. It is riDICulously squooshy. The kind of yarn you want to start knitting with while you're still winding it. In fact, this stuff isn't just soft - it's like, *Koigu* soft.

(Note: I've had this in the stash for a while now, and I believe she's since switched to a different base yarn, but she reports it's even softer than this. All I could say to that is...oh, baby.)

And isn't this Pink Lady colorway fantastic? Beautifully dyed with that whole fabulous speckly thing going on. Oh, and unlike the Koigster, Pigeonroof doesn't pill just by looking at it funny. So far, it's wearing just fine. Very little tint in the soak, too. And... okay, I'm done gushing. Just go get you some.

Wrap it up
It was soooo nice to dive back into the merino after that summer run of cotton. And to dive in with these? Dreeeeamy! Hopefully it'll drop down from the upper 70s soon, so I can start wearing them - a lot!
Spring Forward 1
Spring Forward Socks

Pattern: knitty, Summer 2008
Yarn: Pigeonroof Studios Superwash Merino Sock, 2 skeins in Pink Lady
Needles: HiyaHiya Steel Circs, Size 1, 32"
Mods: Decreased around ankle, EoP
flap, decreased instep only two rows of toe to even out stitch count

14 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

You can wear wool socks when it's in the upper 70s? Wow. My feet really do get too hot.

Nice socks! Though I have to say, considering I'm planning on doing my own "Fall behind" post (but I decided in my case they're Fall Forwards) today, seeing these socks come up on my screen was a little startling. So I'm not the only one still knitting Spring Forwards. Iiiinteresting.

(And thanks for the Pigeonroof rec - definitely need to check them out.)

1:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I really like the combination of the pattern and the colorway -- makes me wonder if the color would behave that well in a plain sock or if this particular pattern was just what it needed to not flash or pool. I can see why you want the chance to wear them!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh, they are gorgeous! Excellent colorway...Gosh I gotta get mine done!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Oh, man, those are GORGEOUS!

And I have to giggle at the Grease 2 reference in there. Hmm... since I played Rizzo back in the day, maybe I DO need to get myself some of that colorway...

3:57 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I love those socks! I have spent lots of quality time drooling over the Pigeonroof selection. One of these days I'll get off my ass and buy some. Those colors work really well with the pattern.

10:42 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

....til death do us part, Think Pink!! Awwww, Grease 2...loved it as a kid (like, have it memorized!!) and own it, yes, as a grown-up (loved watching it with my best friend's 9yo who thought auntie carrie was sooooo cool for owning grease 2)!

Okay, back to the socks! They are absolutely gorgeous!! I must knit up my pigeonroof soon!! Love the pattern and yarn together too!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous socks - seeing them and reading your description left me little choice - the pattern is printing now.

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty - love the colorway. I really need to do this pattern!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Pigeonroof does sock yarn too? I had no idea.

Very purty.

I'm a Grease-drop out. Ugh. Can't stand it except on my french fries.

6:56 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, you've sealed the deal: I am buying some of that Pigeonroof whatchacallit asap! And this was one of your funniest posts everrrr....

7:52 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

I am NOT clicking that link. Uh-uh. Not gonna do it.

Your socks are shore purdy, though. Maybe I'll just go take a tiiiiny peek at the yarn....

8:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I clicked the link. And down the never-ending queue of sock patterns I go....

Things could be worse, I guess!


(BTW, Hoofle Floofle isn't discontinued. I snuck a few STR into my cart just because I wanted them!)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Chris - Laura said...

i'm oooing and ahhhing over these socks. that colorway is so yummy.... it makes me want to go find some maple trees and shake em up in hopes of some falling leaves. i suppose it's too early to that.

thanks for the inspiration!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Those are 'effing georgeous.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home