Thursday, August 07, 2008

The cotton is not my friend trend

Thank you all for your support on the skirt muff-up! :) Thanks especially to Pam and orata for their very wise suggestions! I thought it would be too many rows to drop down, but now I'm going to try and fix it that way instead of frogging. Well, not now. Later. Once the bitter pill wears off.

Gotta say, though, that was the latest incident in a rather disturbing wip trend as of late. Remember my Shetland Shorty? Now it looks like this:
Rowan 4 Ply Cotton - 3 balls

Wasn't feelin' it. At all. Even put the yarn on my Rav trade page.

I also had to re-start Shedir again:
Shedir (wip)

Why again you ask (especially since you haven't seen it on this blog before)? Well, it seems my row and stitch gauge are way, way, WAY off here. On the first version, I only did 3 repeats of the cable before moving on to the crown (skipping 16, yes 16, rows in the pattern). Then I skipped 4 rows in the crown. Then I undid a few ribbing rows from the cast-on edge (which was SO not fun). Then I undid more ribbing rows from the cast-on edge and bound off the brim just before the cables.

I made Hubster try it on a billion times
(it got to the point where I'd call his name, he'd walk to the couch, and just lean his head over) before I finally had to admit what had been patently obvious from about the mid-way point, but which I chose to ignore because somedayifyoudothatitmightmagicallyfixitselfwhileyou'resleeping. It was too damn big. Aaaaall over. Too wide, too long, too loose, and that bass ackwards BO at the CO edge? Not pretty.

I contemplated donating the hat to some sweet, innocent charity, but remember that line from the Sound of Music - "The poor didn't want this one." Yeah, it was that bad.

Painful as it was to frog a finished knit, it had to be done. Started it over last night after bitchslapping myself for being an idiot with the wisdom of hindsight and a few mods to take in the width and length. The pic above is the reboot.

So, let's see, in the past week, I've muffed the Indigo Ripples Skirt, frogged Shetland Shorty, and made a gigantic Shedir only Fezzik could wear. Man, it's a good thing I started a pair of socks in some super squishy merino.
Spring Forward (wip)

Otherwise, a girl might start to lose hope!

9 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

OK, I don't know what yarn you are using for those socks, but they totally look like Neapolitan Ice Cream. PRETTY!

(Also, my word verification is hpamfd. My name is right in the middle!)

3:47 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

You inspired me to scrap my Shetland Sh*tty. But I still love my cotton.

Pam's right that looks like some Neopolitan icecream, but heavy on the chocolate part--my fave!

4:31 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Ooooo! What is THAT? Gracious, it's purdy.

Unlike Pam, I have 'yak' in the middle of my word verification. What are you trying to say about me?

5:07 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Such drama for such a small project! I hate when that happens. Maybe it's not meant to be? At least the sock will make you feel better. Socks always make one feel better.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely Spring forward socks in that yarn!! Heh, I woulda got rid of the cotton too ;) just sayin'

7:09 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

There must be something in the air this week...rip rip rip! Well, good for you for just doing it (and not complaining about it at all..heheheh!).

Is that pigeonroof studios... because it is absolutely gorgeous!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Mmm, yummy sock yarn. Sorry about the rest. The way I figure it, knitty karma is going to send you good luck with your next knitting as a way of making up for all the frustrations.

4:26 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, cotton is not high on my list either. So glad you cast on for the merino socks, you wouldn't want the cotton to put you off knitting completely!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about all the projects going bad - hopefully it will stop now and you won't have any more trouble! Love the socks - beautiful yarn!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home