Monday, July 28, 2008

Oooooooohhhhhhh. And not in a good way.

For future reference:

Tree trimming + weez who hasn't worked out since gas was $2 a gallon = pain and suffering.

Since Hubster was tasked with going in the attic (well there's no way in hell *I'm* going up there), mowing, and fertilizing the lawn, I set about doing some yardwork, which included trimming our three trees.

I think I can safely say gardening is like camping. I like the idea of it, but uh, I'm an indoor cat. Now I'm a very sore indoor cat. Ow.

While I recover, how 'bout I show you my new knitting tool?

I had brunch with chemgrrl last Saturday, and the subject of blocking wires came up. I'd heard about using welding rods, and when she suggested checking my local welding store, we both had a laugh (look up suburbia in the dictionary, and you'll find my neighborhood). But of course, as soon as I got home, I hopped the Internets and hunted down my dusty Yellow Pages book, juuuuust out of curiosity. Well color me Gomer 'cause I was surprised surprised surprised to discover there actually is a welding supply store not too far from here!

I hauled my girly ass right on over there and got some help from a very nice man who asked if I was using them for fishing hooks. Obviously, I'm not a welder, but apparently I give off a fishing chick vibe. Not sure how I feel about that.

Aaaanyway, I told him I was using them for knitting and explained briefly while his eyes glazed over. But a few minutes later, I walked out with a pound of 1/16" x 36" stainless steel welding rods that he assured me will never rust.

Gave 'em a quick swipe
to get the residual machine oil off (first with some rubbing alcohol, then with a damp cloth) and they were good to go! Easy to cut, too. I made some shorter ones by cutting a rod in half with some wire cutters and smoothing the ends on a hammer. Put 'em right to use blocking out my Seascape and they have officially memorexed the idea of pinning.

Because look! Lookit how straight! Eeeeeeee!
Seascape (blocking)

No scallop...er...scallopyness!
Seascape (blocking2)
*sigh* I love these things. It was SO much easier than using a billion pins. Faster, too. And a lot less per rod than blocking wire sets!

Of course, I don't need, you know, 33 of them! Thinking I might break the rest down into three sets of 8 rods and destash them. If, that is, I can figure out how to mail them!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you figure out how to mail them you can put me at the top of the "I want me some those" list. Brilliant idea!

12:56 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I need to get more. I have 4 and they rock. Your seascape is looking nice, can't wait for the FO shoot!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I need to go about looking for some of those again. Last time I was in one of our local hardware stores, all I could find were rolls of fencing wire. It worked well enough, but I had to straighten out each length of wire before using it.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love my blocking wires. Honestly, I don't know how I lived without them. Of course, I probably overpaid for mine, because I didn't even think to check out a welding supply store. Clearly you are the more ingenious knitter.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

How cool are those wires! Maybe tube mailer? They make various sizes....hmmm one wonders if she should..yikes, I don't knit lace...yet? It is looking lovely though!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever - I have some blocking wires, but I think it might be a good idea to get some of these too - since the blocking wires only have a couple of really long ones. The seascape shawl looks gorgeous!

5:35 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Well, honk my hooter. You got some? Rock on! Aren't they just da bomb?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude! Totally destash them my way. Could you ship them in a poster tube???? Genius!

8:46 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Fishing chick vibe, huh! I wouldn't have thought it :)

Love the wires!! If I knew what to do with them I'd say destash to me too, but I don't even use the pins :( No lace for me. Great idea!!

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOhhh me too, me too. Ship them in a tube. Great idea!

Just how long are these puppies, anyway?

9:33 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Great idea!!! I use some wire things I got at home depot. Not sure why "blocking" wires are so much more expensive than these other options!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home