Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pooter Girls

If you're one of the cool kids, you probably got to attend MDSW or Sea Socks or Stitches East or Stitches West or Stitches EverywherebutwhereIlive, while I sat here, insanely jealous magnanimously envious, reading about all your fun and fabulous experiences at all those fun and fabulous fiberfests meeting all kinds of fun and fabulous fellow knitters.

Until, that is, *I* got to go to Pooter.

What, you've never heard of PUWTR? The Purl Warehouse Trek of 2008? Aw, you poor thing. You really missed out. No entrance fee, no crowds, and tons of yarn and fabric in every color and fiber you can possibly imagine. Plus, I finally got to meet one of you in person - chemgrrl!

And look - we even had swag!PUWTR Bags

Closeup of the front:
PUWTR Bags Front
Mucho design inspiration from the highly addictive purlsoho website.

And the back:
PUWTR Bags Back
You know I had go there.

Whereby Pooter comes to fruition
chemgrrl recently landed in our sunny state for a summer internship and recruited me to the land of go broke invited me to check out the Purl Warehouse with her.
I figured this'll probably be the closest thing I'll get to a fest out here and thus, Pooter was born! And hey, even a fauxfest needs swag. But admit it - don't you kinda want one? ;)

I missed the exit the first time (love me the carpool lane - except when it gives you 5 freakin' seconds to travel across 6 lanes of agro SoCal drivers) and showed up a few minutes late, but we had plenty of time to explore and discover this - behold, I give you...the Purl Warehouse! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Purl Warehouse
Skies opened. Angels wept. And so did my credit card.


Yup, folks, that be the warehouse where purlsoho's magnificent online inventory is held. On the right side? Racks and racks of fibery goodness (including every. single. color. of koigu in existence) as far as the eyes can squee. On the left side? Bolts and bolts of colorful fabrics ranging from the super cute to the spectacularly beautiful. *sigh*

The girl manning the warehouse was very friendly and nice, and it was dreamy to see/feel a lot of their yarns in person, most of which my local lys sadly does not carry (mmmm, Manos Silk Blend.... mmmm, Habu Bamboo... mmmm, O-Wool Balance...). I was tempted to spend the mortgage, but exercised tremendous
restraint because I kinda like having a roof over my head. But I still managed to make a sizeable dent in the plastic! By the time I came home, my Pooter swag bag looked like this:
PUWTR Bags Full

Because it was full of this:
PUWTR Bags Full 2

A sweater's worth of Pear Tree
(have you ever felt this stuff? sweet mother of all things soft and squooshy!) and a couple of yards of fabric (I am soooo in love with these prints).
PUWTR Fabric

Apparently, the yarn fumes made me a little spacey and I forgot to take any pictures of say, chemgrrl and I actually *in* the warehouse, or the miles of Koigu, or the bolts of Kokka fabrics.... But I sense we may do another pilgrimage before she leaves and will make a note to do that then.

After Pooter (heeheeheeheeheeheehee), we got lost trying to find the place warehouse girl recommended for lunch (because I was navigating) and ended up at a cafe with seemingly bottomless salads (the kind where it feels like you've been eating for an hour, but the bowl seems just as full), and the most awesome how-does-she-still-have-a-job waitress ever.

We chatted nonstop for two hours or so, about everything from little wee-wee poopy dogs to snorey husbands to yarn dyeing to deadly mordants that I should nevereverever use to what the hell a mordant is to knitting groups, before she finally had to head back to work. She's just as fun as you'd expect, and it was a total blast! I'm so glad I got to meet the 3-dimensional version of you, chemgrrl! :)

So, now that I have all these super cool fabrics (uhhh... those two you see above might not be my first buy-fabric-for-no-reason purchases), and now that I have this super cool sewing cabinet, which my MIL got me for my birthday:
Sewing Cab Closed

Sewing Cab Open

And now that I've taken my mom's super cool old Singer in for servicing, and now that I have this super cool new serger, which my MIL got me for Christmas:
Serger

I should probably, you know, learn how to, like, sew.

14 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee, I know what pooter means in my house (we spell it like that). But now I'm a little disturbed...because I took my first solo trek into the city and we hit Purl Soho (the NYC knitty meet up last year). Does that make me a PuS girl?
And color me envious of your sewing cabinet--I wish I had a nice easy to reach place for my machine!

4:16 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You got to meet chemgrrl! Color me jealous. And yes, I totally need one of those bags for my friend pooterprincess. It's perfect!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Holy crap that sewing cabinet is fabulous!

And I'm insanely jealous of you now. Chemgrrl AND your own personal fest? Damn.

And you totally need to make bags on CafePress that say "My stash is real, and it's spectacular." You KNOW people would buy them.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys had a fabulous time with your pooter. That Pear Tree Merino looks beautiful.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too early for me to handle such a massive dose of jealousy and my glass of Diet Cherry Coke is too small for me to throw myself into and drown. Your swag is awesome.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Super jealous!!! Glad that ya'll got together and got her away from.....ugh, "ickiness".

Now if I could only find her an intership in Texas......maybe in August...... :D

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic adventure! All things considered, I'd say you were actually restrained... :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

So jealous!! You got to meet chemgirl! You got awesome tote bags! And you got to fill them with fabulous things from Purl...wow wow wow!! Happy happy fest indeed!! Love the sewing cabinet too :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great swag bag! I wanna be a pooter girl! (whine, whine, whine)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

HA! I have a sweet sewing setup and no clue how to sew, too!!! That's hilarious. My grandma got me this really nice sewing machine as a wedding shower gift. That was four years ago and I still haven't turned it on yet. I've taken it out and looked at it quite a few times, though....

your stash bag is awesome, btw.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

What a great time and you did well, I would have been in so much trouble, I probably would have sold my return ticket LOL! Love the cabinet too! Yes...you should learn to sew now!! Glad you got to go with Chemgrrl!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I know pretty much nothing about sewing, but isn't a serger some pretty serious gear? I think it would be a shame, a darn shame, to have it and not know how to use it.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time - I'm completely jealous! I have my mother's sewing machine in the basement and keep on thinking I should learn to sew....you first!

5:06 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Dude, I'm fifth dimensional. I guess that one was moving too fast for you to see. But that's how I ended up with so much yarn, you know. I have seven arms in the fifth dimension.

Hell yeah, we need to go again. POOTER FOREVER!!!!

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home