Monday, April 14, 2008

Chevron in Squoosh

Chevron
"Okay weez, only dogs can hear you now..."

"So pretty!"

Say that about a dozen times in a high-pitched squeal, and that's about what it was like to knit these socks!
Chevron
I give! Not a lot, but I give!

Short 'n Sweet
It's got some give thanks to the purls, but Chevron, it ain't the stretchiest pattern in the world. I didn't want a baggy cuff, though, so I cast on 60 stitches, did some 1x1 rib, then knitted Row 2 of the stitch pattern and threw in some M1s to get the stitch count for the leg up to 66. Did my usual EoP heel flap and slightly wider heel/toe, and that was it!

The socks are nice and snug, but comfortable and easy to slide over the heel. A perfect fit, yay! And Chevron works fabulously with this self-striping colorway. Pretty sure the sun, moon, and dogstar were in a perfect isosceles triangle, too, because the stripes actually match up.
*shock!*

Yarn thoughts
This Vesper came to me from a destash and oh, it is all kinds of fabulous. Soft, squooshy, the kind of yarn you want to knit with forever.

And not superwash. Crap.

Naturally, I found that out after the socks were done. When the Vesper I ordered from her shop arrived last week, it was in a noticeably different base yarn. Hopped online (loves me the Internets), did a little research, and discovered this Vesper - which I'd received sans ballband - was one of her original skeins. It's merino, but not superwash.

Had I known that ahead of time, I'd have used this for a scarf or something less likely to felt! *sigh* Oh well. They're done now, and they feel soooo soft and luscious on, I'm just gonna fugeddaboutit and wear them. If they felt, they felt!
Chevron
It's an original.

And look how pretty! Such gorgeous colors, bright and fun! I've heard mention of uneven dye, but the colors in this skein were steady throughout (the only white spots were in the color jump between turquoise and orange, and it was in the same place throughout the skein). Despite the strong colors, there was virtually no tint left in the soak (whee!), and minimal pilling afterwards.

The "new" Vesper is superwash with a different twist. I hope it can live up to the original, 'cause this will be one hard act to follow!

Wrap it up
I do wish the chevrons were a little more pronounced, but other than that, I love these socks! Bright, happy, pretty, easy to knit, and a dream to wear. A lovely way to erase the debacle that was Fla... Fla... gee, I hardly remember them anymore...
Chevron
Chevron Socks
Pattern: Sensational Knitted Socks
Yarn: Vesper Sock (original, non-superwash) in Midnight Knitter
Needles: HiyaHiya size 1, 32"
Mods: 1x1 rib cuff with less stitches, added Row 2 right after cuff with M1s to increase up for leg, EoP heel flap, slightly wider heel and toe

15 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

They are fab (even if those bright stripes are making me a little dizzy if I look at them for more than a second or do). Kudos on getting the stripes to match up perfectly!

I have never tried the Vesper yarn (despite the fact that the dyer lives in the same city and, as I discovered after the fact, was sitting right behind me at the Yarn Harlot signing last year). I've heard both good and not-so-good things, but I'm wondering if that has to do more with yarn bases. I'll be interested to see how the next batch knits up.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are just cranking out the FOs here. Those socks are fabulous, superwash or no. I declare those heels a work of art.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. DD just walked by and saw the socks and said, "Oooh wow!! Those are pretty!" And she's 10, so she knows just about everything.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jacey said...

Oh, the colors! I heart them!
Everytime I see socks as cute as these, I want to to drop everything I'm knitting and make a pair already. One of these days...

1:05 PM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Cutie patootie! And I think you must of done voodoo to get those stripes to match up so perfectly. Or at least waved a dead chicken over them. Or something.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! Great pattern for the yarn. I made a pair of socks from Vesper for my daughter - unfortunately she felted them. I hope you have better luck!

2:40 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh very pretty! I love how bright and fun the colors are!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome socks! I love the color combo.

4:35 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

There is so much I love about these: the pattern, the colors, the pattern and the colors together, the Hiya Hiya needles, everything!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Smashing colors. And I love your bruise too! ;-)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love them! Yeah, my Vesper's I just finished weren't superwash either, but they are doing good so far. Hehe..I tried knitting the chevron pattern..I just couldn't get the pattern..duh...

7:36 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

So bright! So happy! The look really great.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Love them!!! I seriously saw them and went "eeeh!" out loud. Very cute.

And why do they even make sock yarn in non-superwash? Very frustrating. Especially since I'm so not the type to actually hand wash anything.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great! I love Vesper's sock yarns! I prefer her 100% Superwash over the wool/nylon blend, though. I don't have any of the non-superwash, but I have a lot of non-superwash merino sock yarn and it's so squishy and I love the way it feels knit up. I wish superwash felt the same way.

9:12 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love the stripes! And how perfect that the match just so! That always happens to me when I'm not trying! If I try..they are a mess! Great job!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home