Monday, March 10, 2008

Going retro

Retro Rib 2
Where ya goin' in those socks? 1984?


About time to stop procrastinating* and get these socks up here! Before enough time elapses to make them super retro. Which would kinda be like super secret double probation. Something I may have been on once or twice in high school.
Retro Rib 3
Move over Lefty, I wanna be in the pic, too!

It's all in the details
These are the Retro Rib Socks from IK, which you can find in the Winter 2004 issue or the book Favorite Socks. It's a very easy to memorize pattern that knits up in a flash! It's got some great little details, too - like that funky cool ribbing in the cuff, and those twisted stitches, which make the ribbing pop.

But it's the purly bits that really give them their retro vibe. Just looking at these remind me of my dad! (Which, errrm, means he'll probably be getting a pair for Christmas this year.)

I pretty much stuck to the pattern this go around, just dropped the leg down to 10 repeats due to yardage concerns (it *is* Jitterbug) and the usual - subbed in an EoP heel flap, decreased slightly more on the foot, slightly less on the toe.
Retro Rib 1
At least they don't have my retro high school bangs. Also known as, "The Block."


Yarn thoughts
This is Colinette Jitterbug in Moss, which was a lovely blog prize from the ever-so-fab chemgrrl. Now, you may have heard, Jitterbug's gotten a preeeetty bad rep around the knitting comm. First, it's a little stingy on the yardage - this skein was their previous put-up of only 292 yards. They've since increased it to 317, which is better, but they really should up it to 350-375 (especially given
how many other fabulous yarns you can get for the around the same price).

Of course, not that it matters to me, being of freakishly tiny feet and all. Even though I didn't do as many leg repeats as the pattern called for, they're not *that* much shorter than I normally knit them, and there was plenty of yarn left over. Easily could've thrown a handful more in there. But if I had non-elfin feet or a preference for longer socks, I'd have gone toe-up for sure (or should I say, "fer sure." GAH! Valley Girl! Crappy 80s movies! GAH!).

Another common issue with Jitterbug is its fondness for knots. Especially knots that tie off ends from a completely different dye lot. But, I'm happy (and relieved!) to say, that didn't happen here. This skein was 100% knot-free.

Luckily, I managed to dodge the third bullet in the Jitterbug craptrinity as well - its tendency to bleed like a mofo. These socks left behind only a minor tint in the soak. Perhaps because it's not an overly saturated colorway? Well, whatever the reason, they came through beautifully with no fading and minimal pilling. Just a nice, even halo upon drying.

It was a pleasure to knit with as well - very soft and squooshy! And the final socks are very comfy. So, either I was really lucky (or chemgrrl was really lucky, since the skein came from her!), or at least one rep in the Jitterbug QA department really likes her job.

That's a wrap
I dig 'em! Funky retro look, soft and squooshy feel, well worth a trip in the Delorean. Just as long we we avoid the the years with... uh... you know what, let's just avoid high school altogether. And college. And maybe some of my mid-20s. Actually, let's just stay right here, m'kay?
Retro Rib 4
Retro Rib Socks
Pattern: IK Winter 2004 or Favorite Socks
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug in Moss
Needles: KP size 1, 32"
Mods: Shortened the leg to 10 repeats, subbed in my usual EoP flap, did slightly more decreases for the foot, slightly less for the toe

*I finished these last week but didn't get around to wearing them until today.

10 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love knitting those socks and I LOVE the colors in yours! They're adorable!!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Good to heard Jitterbug getting a good review--gives me hope for the skein in my stash.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, you definitely got one of the few good skeins of Jitterbug. Mine was the shorter yardage, had at least two knots (there could have been more in what was left), and after five or six washes they're still bleeding. Oh well.

4:46 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

how cute!

6:30 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

they look great. i've been meaning to knit that pattern for practically forever now.

6:38 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy! You didn't run out of yarn! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!
And the socks look mucho faboo. I really like them--I'm going to have to get that book.

I can't say I'm surprised that you didn't have any knots. That was one of the skeins that Colinette sent me after my whole debacle, and it would have been really stupid of them to send me one with knots. It was in a center pull ball when I sent it to you, remember? I got it that way from the company. Ten bucks says they checked it themselves. :)

6:40 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow, good to know you didn't get any of the Jitterbug pitfalls. (I've got a few in the stash) Love them! Gonna have to check that pattern out!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Good to know of the Jitterbut issues - I have a skein in my stash...

Your socks are adorable!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

They're fabulous. I have some Jitterbug, and it's the reason I'm going to learn how to knit toe-up socks. So I don't run out of yarn in spite of freakishly skinny ankles and rather dainty feet.

6:38 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I seem to be one of the few that haven't had any problems with our friend Jitterbug...LOVE the Retro-Rib action! Nice work.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home