Thursday, January 31, 2008

From the ashes of a frog, comes a clog

In Phase II of the Mojoloss Recovery Program, I decided to frog a few projects that hadn't seen the light of day for over a year... aaand probably never would. So, this quadfecta of crap:

Center Square Hat Cheapascot
Makes-me-look-like-a-linebacker vest; froofy, too-small bag with uglyass, badly-sewn lining;
brain-squeezing, too-tight hat with cat-pee colored yarn, and itchy-as-hell-get-it-off-me ascot.

...was completely frogged, reskeined, and washed for repurposing. (And let me tell you, frogging FOs that are a year old is a big. fat. PITA. Especially if you are really, really, really good at weaving in ends.)

From the ashes of that frog came the dawn of a new FO. An exciting FO. A FO with a touch of fug. Behold... ahhhh ahhhh ahhhh ahhhh... the Frogger Cloggers! AHHHHHH!
Frogger Cloggers
Knittylujah! Knittylujah! Knittylujah! Knittyyyyy-lu-jah!

Break it down now
Knitted completely out of frogged yarn! That's right my friends, these are 100% frog quad. Let's break it down, shall we? (Note: These were all double-stranded.)
  • Inner soles: handpaintedyarn.com Bulky in Sunset
  • Outer soles and bumper: Wool of the Andes Bulky in white + Manos in #106
  • Uppers: handpaintedyarn.com Bulky in Sunset + Malabrigo in Shocking pink
  • Cuffs: Wool of the Andes Bulky in white + Malabrigo in Cat Pee Khaki
  • Inner sole seams: Malabrigo in Shocking Pink
  • Outer sole seams: Wool of the Andes Bulky in white + Manos in #106... until I ran out of WotA and then just the Manos
Post frog-and-wash, the yarns were thinner than they were originally, hence why even the bulky yarns needed to be doubled.
Frogger Cloggers
I was in the pool!

You felt me
It took a few experimental rip and restarts to figure out how to make the yardage last. The above breakdown was the magic combo, but man, I had to spit-splice my ass off! I even had to scrounge together several 1-2" scraps of the hpy and the WotA in order to make it. By the time these clogs were done, I coulda coughed up a hairball. But it was worth it!

Like most felted projects, they were ridiculously huge when they came off the needles, but shrunk up to a perfect fit. (Hubster couldn't wrap his head around the fact that these were the same clogs he saw the night before.) Luckily, the many varieties of yarn didn't cause any problems with uneven felting or puckering (whew!).

After waiting 5 days for them to dry, I got impatient and put them on a rack in the dryer on low for about 30 minutes (checking obsessively every 5 or so). After some quality time with the fabric shaver, they were finally ready to wear!
Frogger Cloggers
From scrunched to shrunk.


Pattern ponderings
If you get/have this pattern, do yourself a favor and make a copy on white paper. (Yo, Fiber Trends - teal? Really?) Then make friends with your highlighter and black marker and cross out all the instructions for the other sizes. You'll thank me for this.

Also, the soles are knitted separately and with seams up the center. It would have been much easier to knit the soles together in one piece, then pick up stitches for the uppers. Easier on the hands, too - knitting the outer soles onto the inner soles with a 24" needle made for some seriously scrunched stitches and achy hands.

Other than that, it was well-written and well worth the individual purchase.

Wrap it up
Being comically huge off the needles, these totally made me laugh, and felting them down was a wonder to behold. Plus, it felt great to recycle yarn from frogged projects that weren't getting any wear. Finally, the touch of fug in the soles inspired me to cast on three pretty things at once, effectively banishing the last of the mojoloss blues.

But the best part about these? They're an absolute perfect fit and so. freaking. comfortable! Having the hpy and Malabrigo on the surfaces that actually touch my feet make all the difference. They're warm, they're snuggly, and the double soles make for a very cushy ride. I already want to knit another pair!
Frogger Cloggers
Frogger Cloggers
Pattern: Felt Clogs by Fiber Trends
Yarn: handpaintedyarn.com bulky in Sunset, Malabrigo in Shocking Pink and Khaki, Wool of the Andes Bulky in white, and Manos in #106, all frogged from neglected FOs
Needles: Addi Turbo size 13, 24"

16 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Those rock!!!! They look so cool! Thanks for the tips too! I helped another person with hers and I agree the soles being last was weird.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally awesome. What a great, great combination. I wouldn't have even thought to do it and if I had, I would have chickened out on so many levels.

Way to go!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

YOU CRACK ME UP! I love it!

4:18 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love your FO posts. You crack me up! Nice repurposing of yarn. Those will get lots of wear I'm sure!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I even have this pattern and it's been in the ol' queue for a while. But you have made me think that these need to be cast on!

7:17 PM  
Blogger LizKnits said...

I've never seen so much frogged yarn end up in such a great FO -- congrats girl, you did good!

8:54 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

No fug at all, totally awesome! Also, I am sure the washing of the frogged yarn was therapeutic in some way, right?

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look so nice - and what a great use for the frogged yarn! I have always wanted to make a pair of these - thanks for the tips!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Without a doubt, those are the most perfectly felted clogs I have seen! It's good to know that you've make good use of all that ick, isn't it?

I've been tempted to buy this pattern before but never followed up on it. However, now I'm going to make a point to look for it at the knitting festival next weekend.

Great job!

6:05 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Woah. Way to get revenge on those damn crappy FOs. Did you felt your clogs by beating them with a toilet plunger? I hope so. Anyway, they are spiffing! And they look comfy as hell.

9:04 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow! that is some impressive reuse of yarn! They look fabulous! congratulations!

12:26 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

what a great idea! those clogs are awesome.

12:51 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

cute cute cute!! Your non mojo kicks my non mojos's ass anytime!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

What a great way to use yarn from FO's you didn't care for!

I think the little bit of fuggly makes them cute.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Eryn said...

Those are teh awesomeness.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Great use of frogged projects!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home