Thursday, December 06, 2007

Baby YAHR! a Deaux (and another hat, too)

What, what's that glimmer? Could it be? Is it so? Why yes! Yes! It's the light at the end of the gift knitting tunnel!

I'd thrown a pair of fingerless mitts into the knitting sked for SIL at the last minute, even got 2" into the first one last night. Then I realized the colorway looked like cat yak, so I frogged it. I was going to pick a different yarn and start over, but between birthdays and Christmas, it's been nothing but gift knitting for the last two months/11 FOs straight and...

*BAM*

I just hit the wall. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure many of you think 11 projects is sheer wuss, but slap a buck on the counter, 'cause I'm out! That's it for this season.

Tonight, it's back to knitting for me! Timeline-free! Man, I almost don't know what to do with myself. Or what to start with. I could use another scarf right now, my mini-clap's been working overtime. Or maybe a pair of socks, I'm dying to see what all the Wollmeise fuss is about. Then again, that Starsky's been on my mind for a while. Hmmm, what to cast on first...

Eh? Oh, right. Sorry, bright shiny object. Heeee.

Without further adieu, here they are - the last of the holiday FOs! Wrapping these up in a quick little twofer (well, quick for me anyway).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NephYAHR! Hats
NephYARH! Hats
YAHR! We be pillaging the sandbox! (Vikings sound like pirates, right?)

First up is a pair of Baby Viking Hats for my two honorary nephews! Here's a rundown of the mods:
  • Sized pattern up to fit a 1- and 2-year-old, and to adjust for a different stitch/row gauge.
  • Added an extra row of seed stitch above and below the rivets.
  • Slipped the first stitch in the rivets to make them stand out more (got this tip from a blogless user on Rav).
  • Knitted the horns in the round, on smaller needles, used w&t short rows and purled across the wrong side.
  • Also made the horns shorter so they wouldn't bop against stuff or skew the hat loose as they're running around.
YAHRn
I used Berroco Pure Merino, which is sooo soft and sproingy! It's a tiny bit heavier, but otherwise almost identical to Karabella Aurora 8 in look and feel. Unfortunately, it also has the same the limited colorways and sucky yardage. But it should hold up well - there was no bleeding in the soak and virtually no pilling afterwards. Not sure I'd make a sweater with this stuff (all those ends *shudder*) but it's perfect for smaller projects like these!

Deep thoughts
I love how these came out, they're just too adorable and so. freakin'. funny! I think the boys are going to look absolutely hilarious running around in them!

NephYAHR Hats (x2)
Pattern:
Baby Viking Hats by Chili Con Yarne
Yarn: Berroco Pure Merino - 1 ball dove, 2 balls brown, 1 ball ecru (over half the white remaining, otherwise the two hats used up most of the brown and grey)
Needles: Addi Turbo, size 7, 16"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Berry BF Hat
Asminah Hat
Who are you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

Yes, I know it's a sucky picture. I tried it on for fit, and between the dark colorway and my dark 'do, you couldn't see a freakin' thing. You'll just have to trust me that it's much cuter on than it appears here!

Here's a rundown of the mods on this one:

  • As written, the pattern uses the flat version of herringbone lace, which results in one section being slightly wider than the others. It's something most people probably wouldn't notice (or care about), but hey, I'm anal that way. So I eliminated the stitches outside the asterisks and knitted just the 6-stitch pattern to keep all the sections the same width. (This only offset the second set of yarnovers by 1 stitch, didn't affect the overall look IMO.)
  • Skipped the crochet and knitted about 1.5" of twisted rib for the brim instead.
  • For the crown, I adjusted the decreases (as I had 2 fewer stitches), added a knit row in between the first 3 decrease rows (for a wee bit of additional length), and finished it off when I hit 12 stitches (to keep it from being too pointy).
Deep thoughts
Er, guess I didn't stick much to the original pattern there, did I? But it was great inspiration! ;) Don't let the above pic fool ya - the hat is really cute on (as in, I almost wanted to keep it cute), and the colorway knitted up in such a pretty way (lucky for her purple's not my thing)! Hopefully M will like it!

Berry BF Hat
Pattern: Asminah Hat(ish)
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Mixed Berries (~30 grams)
Needle: H&S rosewood, size 7, 16"

12 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh my god, how have I never seen those Viking hats before? Very cute! Lucky honorary nephews!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I love the way the Mixed Berries colorway worked out on the ribbing of the hat. A nice biased stripe on there, sometimes you couldn't even plan these things better than they turn out on their own! Congrats on choosing to knit for yourself. ;-)

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those viking hats are, without a doubt, the cutest thing I have ever seen. Knitted rivets?! I can't stand it!

6:08 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

As a native Minnesotan, I WILL making that viking cap...for myself!:)

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Totally get your feeling. I finally finished "Christmas knitting" on Tuesday, the end of my timeline knitting. I couldn't wait to cast on for something for me, that didn't need to be completed by Christmas.

It feels nice.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those viking hats are awesome!!! Nice job on the other hat too! Nice colorway!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those viking hats are SO CUTE!

6:56 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

Everything looks great! I'm hella jealous that you're done with the gift knitting! :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Loving all the hats! and you're done?! I'm only knitting like two things this year and I keep getting tripped up. Boo.

10:34 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Those viking hats kick ass! And good for you on getting all your Christmas Knits done! Back to the star of the show.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Eryn said...

Those viking hats are AWESOME! I have got to knit those for the boys!

3:39 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Love those viking hats! I might have to whip one up for Christmas for my daughter! And I love your Asminah hat - I didn't do the crochet edge on mine either. I wish I would have seen your commetns before I made mine, though, because I like your modifications.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home