Friday, September 21, 2007

Pretty poppies

Pretty Poppies
Fussy britches. Or be that stitches?


After several tinks, three pattern auditions, and a re-wind (to start from the fresh end), this yarn finally found a mate with the easy peasy stretchy ribby Peacock Socks pattern. (I was tempted to call these Poppycocks, but figured I should stop with the Monkey Hooters.)

Pretty Poppies
Star toe, squee!

(Insert whatever sound a peacock makes here)
This pattern is very simple and goes by in a flash. The six-stitch / two-row repeat makes it easy to mod as well - which of course, I did! Brought the stitch count for the leg down to 60, the heel flap down to 30, the foot down to 58, and the star toe down to 56. I also started the flap on a RS row instead of a WS row (I like having a knit row buffer between the leg and the flap).

It's a nice, stretchy pattern, and the slip chain adds a little more interest than the standard rib. Plus, it has my favorite EoP flap and a star toe that make my insides go squishy. The one caveat is that the leg pattern is somewhat unbalanced from the instep down. If I were to make these again, I'd shift the heel flap so the instep begins and ends with the purl-slip-purl. But, as you can see from the pics, once the socks are on, you really don't notice. (At least, not enough for me to redo it.)

Pretty Poppies
Heee, you're so purty.

On your toes
This is Sophie's Toes sock yarn by Emily Parson. I absolutely LOVE this colorway, which is called California Poppies. It's so bright and happy and girly! Look at how beautifully all those shades of pink and gold work together. I think I stopped just about every ten rows to hold them up to go, "Look how preeeetty! Pretty pretty pretty!" in high-pitched squeals only dogs could hear.

If I hadn't just knitted that pattern, these probably would have made really fabulous purl-free Monkeys, too. But you know, I love this colorway so much, I may actually buy it again when I start circling back around to repeating.
Pretty Poppies
Hmmm...possibly some future purl-free Pretty Monkeys, too?

As for the feel, I heard someone mention somewhere (who and where escapes me right now) that they thought this yarn was as sproingy as STR. I personally wouldn't call it sproingy per se, BUT it is nice and soft. Even more so after washing, so they feel lovely on.

There was some minor runoff in the soak, but the color held true. Virtually no pilling, either - just a very slight, stitch softening halo.
And really, her colors are absolutely stunning. (As a bonus, it sure does take well to frogging, too. :P) So go, check her out!

West Side Poppies
I'm so pretty, oh so pretty, I'm so pretty and witty and gay! And I pity, any sock who isn't me toooday! (*sigh* She's not really humble, that Pretty Poppy.)
Pretty Poppies
Pretty Poppies
Pattern: Peacock Socks
Yarn: Sophie's Toes in California Poppies
Needles: KP 1, 32"
Mods: Brought the overall stitch count down and started the flap on a RS row.
Note: Next time, adjust the flap so the instep and foot will begin and end with a purl-slip-purl for better symmetry.

16 Comments:

Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

love that colorway so bright and cheery!

3:14 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh that colorway is so pretty! Love it. And you chose a great pattern to show it off. Well worth the trouble.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

Hi! I found your blog from my friend GeorgeAnne's blog, hook & needles. Your socks are gorgeous. I love the color! You are so funny, I am sitting here reading your blog and just cracking up!! Anyway, just wanted to say hi! and have a great weekend!!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Just beautiful!! Lovely colorway and your post as always!!!

Just checked to see if you posted it elsewhere too! hehe..I'm a watching you ;)

7:43 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, seriously: the best socks I've seen all year from a color + yarn + design standpoint. LOVE them!!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Very nice!!!

Peacocks make a bloodcurdling screaming sound I believe.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Gorgeous socks! I've had that pattern in the queue for a while for forgot about it -- thanks for reminding me how nicely it knits up!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Shawna said...

great socks! i bookmarked this pattern awhile back - your pics make me want to start a pair soon:o)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Love love love those socks. Great yarn/pattern combo!!!

10:49 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Those are SO cute!! I love those colors.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks! Great colorway - I love Sophie's Toes yarn - and it is pretty sproingy!

5:07 AM  
Blogger kemtee said...

Nice socks. Reeeeeeally nice socks. And here's me, adding another pattern to ye olde Rav queue… sigh…

6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man, I love those socks. I agree with the others, it is the absolute perfect pattern for the yarn! Beautiful. I love variegated yarn that doesn't spiral. Not that spiraling is always bad, but I'm always pleased when it doesn't. I love the Poppycocks!

7:37 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

the colors worked up very nicely with the rib pattern. lovely socks!

someday i will finish a pair of socks. someday.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Beautiful socks! That really is the most cheerful colorway. I don't know how you couldn't not break into song while wearing them!fmt

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, in Spain peacocks say "FEO! FEO!" (fay-0h) which means ugly, so that's pretty weird, right? But your socks are LOVELY!!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home