Monday, July 09, 2007

Slow boat from Germany


DHL - When it absolutely, positively, has to be there two months later.

It took two months to make the journey, but lookit what just arrived! My final package from my SP8 pal, the wonderful Batty! The box took a beating, but thankfully, the contents don't appear to have been affected!



See? She sent it on May 11. No other customs stickers indicated random routings through far-off lands. So I guess they're just...slow.


Now how do you not love a package that opens with that?


That sheep card made me LOL! From what I can tell, the caption says something along the lines of, "What, haven't you ever seen a sheep?" Guess he's kinda bitter about losing his coat to us knitters. If you shaved my head on a regular basis and made socks and sweaters out of my hair, I guess I'd be a little bitter too. And more than a little grossed out.


Check out the fun spoils!

  • A Koosh ball
  • Hungarian chips - I'm guessing in a red bell pepper flavor?
  • Pizza breadsticks - Hubster showed an immediate interest in these, so I started eating them right away to head him off at the pass. Like that ever works.
  • Caramel tea - I'd originally sniff-guessed this was coffee, but the back has instructions for tea. Can't wait to try this!
  • Candy - by color alone, it could be coffee, chocolate, or cola flavor. I'll have to conduct a taste test later this afternoon and see (will need some sugar to make it through the afternoon, boo for early morning conference calls!)
  • Two mags full of charted patterns (whew! My high school German classes are so far out of my memory, they're prehistoric.)
  • Regia sock yarn in bright happy greens and blues
  • Mille Fili cotton yarn in bright happy sour apple green
Thank you Batty for being such a wonderful secret pal! You spoiled me good! :)

Let's take a closer look at the yarny goodness:
The Mille Fili (I just love saying that) is by Wolle Rodel (just pretend you see the umlauts). It's 100% mercerized cotton in a DK weight that appears to knit up at 6-7 sti on size 3. I love the color - it's actually a brighter shade than the pic reflects.

Looks like I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 yards. My initial thought was to double it up and make the Minisweater (sans the frilly edging). Or I could try a second pass redemption of the Dolly Parton Mini-Me Honeymoon Cami from last summer. Any other thoughts? Ideas?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great gift! You should also consider an Orangina for the millefilli. Pretty!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Wow!!! What a spoiler!!

I'm a little happy to know that German customs sucks getting mail OUT of the country. I ended up giving my little bro 2 xmas presents because customs getting INTO the country sucks too!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

So glad it finally made it! Yes, those are pepper-flavored potato chips, which, for some reason, are the standard potato chip flavor in Germany. I really miss them here in the US!

The candy-looking stuff is Kandis, which is generally used to sweeten tea. I don't know if it's a northern German thing or if they have it everywhere.
Of course, it's also perfect just for sucking on. I love the flavor and hope you like it too.

And I'm sure you'll find something to do with the yarn!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home