Thursday, April 12, 2007

We've been skunk'd

Around 2:30 am two animals - we suspect a possum and a skunk - got into the turf war throw down in the crawl space underneath our house. We awoke to primal screeching and banging about as they ran around. (Hey, Pest Side Story!) And then, one of them apparently won.

But that wasn't the worst of it my friends. I WISH that was the worst of it. What followed about a minute later was a malodorous stench of such horrific proportions, I can not even beGIN to describe. After spraying ozone-depleting levels of Ozium to no avail (if the weed killer didn't sterilize me, this sure did), we ran into the back of the house, which is an addition and sits on a concrete slab foundation, and slept in the guest room.

We got up a short while ago and yup! Smell's still there. And as bad as ever. Just opened all the windows (then ran back to the guest room) hoping that might alleviate some of it.

At this moment, I am truly grateful for my freakishly organized anal retentiveness and that all of my yarn - even my wips - is safely ensconed in Ziploc bags. The smell doesn't appear to have permeated anything but the air, but it makes me feel better.

Wonder if we could live back here in the addition. I mean, hey - we have a bedroom, bathroom, washer, dryer, tv, dvd player, exit to the outside. No kitchen, but that's what take out is for! We'll just forget there are any other rooms in the house.

I called the office a few minutes ago and told them I wouldn't be in today due to a household emergency. Now I'm sitting here thinking...who exactly do I call to take care of this? Skunkbusters?

When we woke up and realized, sadly, that last night wasn't a nightmare, our conversation went something like this:

Hubster: See? My toots don't seem as bad now, do they.

Me: Congratulations. Something else smells worse than your ass.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

ARe we possibly married to the same man? I swear he didn't fart when we were dating. He left that until the ink was dried on the marriage certificate!

Sorry about Pest Side Story. At least there was no excessive dancing and snapping right??

10:44 AM  
Blogger SuzannaBanana said...

This reminds me of 'The Money Pit'. First your yard tries to kill you, and now the wildlife is coming after you. It's been a bad week in nature for the Weez!

Can you throw something odor-absorbing in the crawl space, like a deodorizing cat litter?

11:05 AM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I've heard lots of suggestions to get rid of the smell as far as I know nothing really works. I'd call someone (pest control) to be sure it left and then figure out how it got in and find a way to keep it from ever getting back in.

You have my complete and total sympathy!

11:07 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Smells worse than a husband - wow, you have my sympathy...and a can of Oust!!???

12:56 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about being skunked! Brings back some "smelly" memories for me though! Sorry, no help on getting rid of the smell either.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home