Sunday, November 12, 2006

Two little London hats are we

Hats. I have discovered that I love hats. They're fast, they're easy, they're fun - what's not to love?

For our upcoming vaca, I figured we'd need some headcover. The Gwennabie Zim Hat caught my eye on craftster and I simply had to knit it. And in its original colors.

Gwennabie Pattern Notes
Even though my gauge was a little smaller at 5 sti, I followed most of the pattern as written. It's an easy knit, with a pretty lace panel that's so fun and girly, it really makes this hat stand out. The black tie was my first attempt at crocheting and honestly, I suck at it. But, since it's mostly hidden, it's thankfully not noticeable.

I made a slight mod at the decrease, starting with a k10, k2tog since the k8, k2tog in the pattern left an extra 4 stitches floating at the end (must... have... symmetry...). The top ended up a little on the pointy side, so I probably should've finished 'er off a couple of rows sooner. I may undo the bind off and tink it back two rows to make it less elfin like. Or just keep it 'cuz it's kinda cute that way.

ETA: I did end up tinking it back to eliminate to elfin peak. Updated pic below to show the new flat top.

Gwennabie Yarn Notes
The pattern calls for DK weight in the hat with worsted in the lace panel, but I used worsted all the way through.

And oh, what a worsted it is. Karabella Aurora 8. I loved knitting with this yarn. Loved it. The colors are not flashy, but they're solid, lovely and true. The wool is so damn snuggly, I was almost sad when it was done. And man, is this stuff soft. Soft, sproingy and ultra comfortable, with not an itch to be had.

I used just under a ball of the blue for this hat, but I do wish it came in larger yardage. At a piddly 98 yards per ball, you'd end up with a million ends to weave in on a larger project.

Gwennabie Final Notes
Love it love it love it! The hat, the yarn, everything. I wish this freakish winter heat wave would end so I could wear it now!


Now for the Hubster hat. He wanted something basic and simple so voila, the Ribby Hubster Hat was born!

Ribby Hubster Hat Pattern Notes
I made up the pattern, nothing groundbreaking, just your basic 2x2. Tried it on him a few rows in and the first pass was way too big (highly recommend doing an initial try on). Frogged back and adjusted down so it would stretch out and show the ribbing. It came out perfectly - long enough to keep his ears out of the chill, but can also fold up with a 1" brim when for those moments less frosty. And it went a helluva lot faster minus those extra 28 stitches!

Ribby Hubster Hat Yarn Notes
What really makes this hat is the yarn - Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Mineshaft. The colorway is macho manly and just freaking cool. I really dig how it striped up at the decrease, too. There was a fair amount left over, probably not enough to do another adult-sized hat but enough to eke out one for a kid.

Ribby Hubster Hat Final Notes
As soon as it came off the needles, Hubster tried it on, ran to the mirror and actually jumped with glee! He LOVED it. Loved the color, loved the style, loved how soft it was, and the fit was spot on. As this was the first thing I've knit for him, he is now officially knitworthy for life.

Gwennabie Zim Hat
Gwennabie Zim Hat
Pattern: Gwennabie Zim Hat
Yarn: Karabella Aurora 8 in blue topaz, white, and a wee bit of black
Needles: Holz & Stein ebony 7, 16"
Size: Fits nicely around my 22.5" noggin
Mods: Subbed the yarn (including the weight), adjusted the decrease rows for symmetrical spirals
Lesson learned: I heart hats!



Ribby Hubster Hat
Pattern: Made it up

Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Mineshaft
Needles: Holz & Stein ebony 7, 16"
Size: Fits nicely around his 23.5" noggin

Lesson learned: Hubster hearts hats, too!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Those are COOL! I love the Gwennabie!!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love them both!!!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for posting these. I was thinking about knitting a ribbed hat in Mineshaft but wanted to see how the colors looked in an actual hat. Enter the Hubster hat. Not conservative enough for the person I was thinking of but, hey, maybe for me.
And I missed the Gwennabie on Craftster so thanks for the link. It looks great on you.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home