Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ugg love and a teeeny tiny bucket hat













After completely spacing before a coworker's baby shower, I did a quick search online and whipped up some pics of the DIY Ugg Baby Booties and LTK Bucket Hat with the promise that I would knit them for his soon-to-be baby girl (who is now six weeks old).

Fast forward two months later (what can I say, sometimes I tend to procrastinate), and here they are! I meant to post when I started (like I keep meaning to do with the honeymoon cami...), but they went so fast, I finished before I could!

These Ugg Baby Booties are a super quick, super simple knit and seriously, seriously adorable! And when I say super quick, I'm not kidding - I knitted almost the entire thing in one evening. I was forced to put them aside only because the Plymouth Heaven I ordered from Webs had a stain on it (grrr) and I had to wait and run to the lys for a new ball the next day. Speaking of Plymouth Heaven, it's fantastically snuggly but a big fat PITA to knit with. (Further proof that I am not one for novelty yarns.)

A few notes...

I didn't bother swatching, since they're baby booties - doesn't matter what size they are, she'll fit in them at some point (and promptly grow out of them in five minutes)!

I subbed the yarn because a) the recommended Berroco Suede and Plush are handwash (and new parents have aaall the time in the world for that, right?), b) I had plenty of KnitPicks Shine left over from the bucket hat, and c) pink uggs are just too future-Carrie-Bradshaw chic.

Since Shine does shrink, I went about a 1/4" higher than the pattern called for, ran them through the w/d, then stitched the Heaven over the side/instep and popped them back in the dryer for about 10 minutes to fluff it up.

I also added some "X" stitches on the back for some added detail.

I just love how these turned out - so much so, I may need to adjust the pattern up and knit a pair for myself!













Future-Carrie-Bradshaw Pink Chic Uggs

Pattern: DIY Ugg Baby Booties
Yarn: Knitpicks Shine Worsted Cotton in Blush (one skein) + Plymouth Heaven in White
Needles: Addi Turbo 4, 16" and Holz & Stein 5, 24" (knitted flat)
Size: 3-6 mos.
Mods: Subbed the yarn, knitted 1/4" higher to adjust for shrinkage
Lesson learned: Novelty yarn is not my thing.

As for the hat, I did use Shine again for this pattern, mainly because the brim on the baby size is so small, the drapey floppiness wasn't really an issue. I *almost* got away with knitting the entire thing sans a single weave-in, but the skein had a horrible fray about a third of the way in (grrrr), so I had to cut and join.


Teeny Tiny Bucket Hat
Pattern:
Little Turtle Knits
Yarn: Knitpicks Shine Worsted Cotton in Blush (one skein)
Needles: Addi Turbo 7, 16" + Bryspun 7 DPNs
Size: Small (preemie/baby)
Mods: Adjusted the height down about an inch
Lesson learned: Baby gifts are so much fun to knit!

3 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

I love these in pink! nice addition of the hat. One very lucky baby@

12:25 PM  
Blogger OLPP said...

just when i thought my baby fever had subsided and i didn't want any more children, i see these baby uggs and hat and suddenly i hear the tick tock tick tock of my biological clock. those are ADORABLE! and i love your shrug, too!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Merry said...

How precious those are! Love to see a picture of the baby wearing them!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home