Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Psychedelic baby!


Lounging on a nice big stack of loaners from my enabler


My boss really dug the first diaper soaker I brought in (my first FO!), and since she just had a baby boy (there must be something in the water, babies are just FLYING out of people I know), I thought this would be the perfect gift!

She's using disposable diapers instead of cloth, so I knitted this one up with superwash wool as it will be worn as a diaper cover rather than a soaker. This is also a DK weight instead of the recommended worsted, so I made my best guess on how many extra stitches to add and luckily it turned out just right (sans gauge swatch too, thank you knitting gods!).

I made a few adjustments this time around - gave it some ribbing down the center for added stretch and detail, also picked up stitches for the first time and added ribbed leg cuffs. I really dig the cuffs, which I plan to add every time I knit these from now on. Note to self - picking up stitches on decrease rows when you're a tight knitter is a biotch, so put a knit stitch after them next time.

Rib my butt!


My only aggravation came last night when I was knitting up the i-cord (fashioned up another white trash spool knitter, man those things rock!). I was about 2/3 of the way done when there was not only one, but TWO knots in the yarn. Oh wait, did I say knots? I mean when the yarn had apparently broken the strand completely in two places and some jackhole tied them to the rest of the ball. Seriously, what is that about? I tried to do a Russian join but it did not work well with this yarn. Knitting in the join made it too bulky and obvious, so I just scrapped it and started over.

The yarn is super soft and the variegated colorway is funky psychedelic, which I think (hope) she'll like. I threw caution to the wind and contrary to the ball band instructions and probably my better judgment, ran it through the washer AND dryer on low, checking every 10 minutes to make sure it wouldn't end up a big felted furball. Thankfully it came through perfectly, so I know it will be easy care for the new mama. (Yeah, yeah, I know, next time test a swatch first.)

Psychedelic Ribbed Diaper Cover
Pattern: punk_knitters livejournal
Yarn: Lana Grossa Cool Wool 2000 Print
Needles: Addi Turbo 4, 16" + Holz & Stein rosewood 4 dpns
Size: Small
Mods: Subbed DK weight, added ribbing through the bottom center plus ribbed leg cuffs
Lesson learned: A game of pick up stitch is easier with a knit at the end

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home