Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bag lady

I pinned together the Majolica bag on Thursday night with the intention of sewing it up this weekend. After trying out many different flower and handle arrangements, I came to the conclusion that:



  1. the all-Soho flower was definitely too large for this bag
  2. four small flowers was overkill
  3. flowers all around the top would have made it flop over like every guest I served a pitcher of Flirtinis to at a party several years ago
  4. the handle needed to be sewn a little closer to the front than dead center to balance the weight of the flowers.

Once I pinned it all together, well, I couldn't wait and had to finish her off that night. So without further ado, here she is!

















I decided a closure would be wise, since it would be just like me to swing it over my shoulder and send the contents flying. I found a nice big orange button in my sewing canister (I may not be the greatest sewer but that doesn't mean I can't be prepared!), braided together three strands of the DB Soho, and sewed the ends underneath the center flower. It worked great! Plus, I can tuck the closure behind the flower when I want the bag to be open. One of these days I'm going to learn how to embroider so I can cover those little sewing bumps with something fabulous.

















I'm glad it came out smaller than the pattern dimensions (most likely because I subbed the yarn). It's the perfect size for my wallet, keys, sunglasses, and cell phone! And I made the handle just long enough to sling over my shoulder.

It was an easy-to-follow pattern, but I was a little skeptical as pre-felt it looked like Dumb Donald from Fat Albert. And post-felt it looked like Cousin It. And it was my first experience felting. But once it was blocked, my skepticism vanished! I love how this turned out, it is so cute and such a fun bag to carry around!

Noni Majolica Bag
Pattern: Noni Majolica Bag
Yarn, Bag: Cascade Eco + (single-stranded)
Yarn, Flowers: Cascade Eco + and Debbie Bliss Soho (both single-stranded)
Needles: Denise 11, 24" + 40"
Size: Smaller pink/red version

Mods: Subbed the yarn, knitted single-stranded, used one color instead of two, used three small flowers instead of one medium and three small
Lesson learned: Blocking is a beautiful thing


4 Comments:

Blogger stacyZ said...

gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice job! Looks like the ecowool felted quite well!

Enjoy it! :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger stacyZ said...

What a great color combo!

9:18 PM  
Blogger OLPP said...

I LOVE THAT BAG!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm going to turn into a knitted bag ho, i can FEEL it! nicely done! it's so pretty!

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home